Time for a New Bow

MTMNHunter

So it's time to update my Mathews Helium. No real reason, just it's time for something new. My budget is roughly $1500-1600.00 for everything but a sight. I just put a new one on last year.
Thinking of staying with Mathews, either VXR 28 or 31. I have not shot either yet, or any bow for that matter.
What I'd like is some input on the new bows. What's everyone's thoughts are. Should I switch brands, why? I really like my dealer, he's the closest one to me and that's 30 miles.
I mainly shoot whitetails out of a ground blind, and I go on one week long elk trip to Montana every year.

Thanks

I'm a hoyt guy, but if you like your Mathews you have now I say get another. Go to your local pro shop and shoot a few different brands/models and see what feels best. You gotta stick with what works and dont overthink it. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
I shot both the 28 and 31 I felt like the 28 was better in my own opinion. But if you get a chance try a Bowtech SR6. I've narrowed down my selection to the VXR 28 or the SR6.
Just saying

I love my Matthews ZXT from years ago. It still gets the job done!

Shoot em all and only you will know what the right choice is. It might be any of the top of the line companies. Recently I won any of the top of the line bows on the market. I spent 3 Saturdays shooting all the bows from the top line of manufacturers and ended up keeping my Bowtech RPM 360 as nothing I tested felt better than what I already had so I picked one with high resale value and sold the bow I selected on Ebay.

Agree with the above. Shoot alot of them...do it blind folded if you have to. It's all about feel and confidence to me. Everyone is different. For example I cant stand the bowtechs, but 2 others on this post like the feel of them.

Personal preference is a pain and this site can weigh you down when picking. Like previously stated, only you know what you like. Buy what you want and don't look for validation just enjoy it!

Shoot as many different brands and models as you can before deciding. Way too many good bows out there now to stay with one manufacturer IMO.

PSE Evo NXT 33, Prime Black 3, Bowtech Revolt, and Hoyt RX-4 Ultra are some I would shoot first before deciding on anything.

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could try a lot of different bows. But most resalers are a long ways away. ill see what I can do.
i shoot left handed also. So finding a shop who has one might be tough.
Keep posting
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could try a lot of different bows. But most resalers are a long ways away. ill see what I can do.
i shoot left handed also. So finding a shop who has one might be tough.
Keep posting
Thanks
I feel your pain as I’m wrong handed like you are. I typically have to test drive most bows right handed before deciding on one or not. Not a perfect scenario but I’ve learned to deal with it.

I shot a Bowtect for a few years , and switched to a Mathews in 2019. I purchased the Mathews Traverse and really love this bow! it is on the heavy side, but for stable shots its great! I took a antelope with it at 90yds. this last year. Yes I practice a lot lol.

Can't go wrong with a Mathew's, no question about that... But if i were you i'd shoot an xpedition before i laid my money down. With that type of budget you're going to be buying based on minor personal preferences more than pure quality/performance. As NY said, all the flagship bows are exceptional nowadays. Shoot as many as you can so you can feel confident in your decision, whether Mathews or some other. Nothing better than knowing you've got the best fit possible.

I’d try a variety of bows out, find which fits and feels best. If your local shop sells Matthews they might have Mission, they are great bows for the money. Last years bows go much cheaper than this years so you might be able to save some coin that way.

For myself I’ve learned to tune and have my own press. I have two Hoyts that have the same cam etc.. so I can easily swap to the other if there’s an issue.

Ordered a Mathew VXR 28.... Now the waiting game is here. They told me it's going to take 6-8 weeks.

I have the vxr in 31.5, needed the bigger bow for my draw length. Upgraded after ten years with an old cheapo. I love it. I went to the local bow shop with no pre conceived notions on what to buy, tried all the bows in the same price range and that bow was the top of the list for me. They were all a little different but none of them were bad.

I just bought a 19 PSE Evoke lt 31. I have shot Hoyt,Elite,Matthews, and Bear and this new bow is simply awesome in my book. That evolve cam is pretty sweet it seems. I'm far from an ace with a bow but today I was shooting golf ball sized groups at 40 and it only being the second time shooting the bow. I feel it's gonna really turn out to be my favorite of all time up to now.
I look forward to messing with it more.

I just bought a 19 PSE Evoke lt 31. I have shot Hoyt,Elite,Matthews, and Bear and this new bow is simply awesome in my book. That evolve cam is pretty sweet it seems. I'm far from an ace with a bow but today I was shooting golf ball sized groups at 40 and it only being the second time shooting the bow. I feel it's gonna really turn out to be my favorite of all time up to now.
I look forward to messing with it more.
The thread was just fine till you brought in Pretty Shitty Equipment. Really? 😜😂

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back