Ticks on Dogs

Jayce37

Hey guys! It is almost time to hit the hills with my 1 year old lab this spring and I'm curious if any of you have found any awesome ways of keeping the ticks off your dogs that ACTUALLY work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I can only tell you from my experience. We used Seresto collars and my lab developed seizures. After stopping the use of Seresto and giving her seizure medicine she completely recovered. No more medication that is hard on her body and she seems fine. I would recommend reading about that before trying such a remedy. Its bad stuff imho…

I can only tell you from my experience. We used Seresto collars and my lab developed seizures. After stopping the use of Seresto and giving her seizure medicine she completely recovered. No more medication that is hard on her body and she seems fine. I would recommend reading about that before trying such a remedy. Its bad stuff imho…
Many, many dogs dead because of Seresto. We use frontline, seems to work pretty well.

David
NM

We use Simparica Trio Chewable Tablets for Dogs (once a month) prescription. If we find ticks on her shortly after she is running in grass, they are still alive. A few hours after she has been running in the grass, the ticks are dead.

I'm not a fan of the chewables. In order to kill the flea or tick, they have to actually bite the dog to actually receive a dose of the preventative. This means that 1) my dog is exposed to whatever the flea or tick is carrying and 2) if neither bite the dog, the flea or tick can hitch a ride into my vehicle, house onto me, etc.
In my opinion this is why the topical is better. The medication is in the fur/on the skin. The flea or tick only has to touch the dog and its dead.

I'm not a fan of the chewables. In order to kill the flea or tick, they have to actually bite the dog to actually receive a dose of the preventative. This means that 1) my dog is exposed to whatever the flea or tick is carrying and 2) if neither bite the dog, the flea or tick can hitch a ride into my vehicle, house onto me, etc.
In my opinion this is why the topical is better. The medication is in the fur/on the skin. The flea or tick only has to touch the dog and its dead.
Not if your dog likes to swim a lot

Not if your dog likes to swim a lot
My upland dogs don't do a lot of swimming although they'll take an occasional dip, but you're correct if a dog was spending a good amount of time in water Vectra may be the best option.

Flea & tick medicine is like dog food. Folks opinions are pretty set in stone and for reasons I can't grasp, tend to get offended about the subjects.

Hopefully the OP finds what works best for him & the health of his dogs.

My upland dogs don't do a lot of swimming although they'll take an occasional dip, but you're correct if a dog was spending a good amount of time in water Vectra may be the best option.

Flea & tick medicine is like dog food. Folks opinions are pretty set in stone and for reasons I can't grasp, tend to get offended about the subjects.

Hopefully the OP finds what works best for him & the health of his dogs.
I really liked the topical as well when I had my lab but the vet talked me into the chewable. I always thought about the drug half life and how that much drug could be in there blood stream at all times to kill a tick after a bite. The topical always made more sense to me for sure.

I was packing my dogs off to Alaska every summer from eastern Oregon.
Every version of biting insect up there, ticks galore in E/O. Simperica kicks ass.

Anybody’s dogs have any seizure like symptoms off of bravecto? I have one dog that has had some weird symptoms within a couple months of taking it. Could just be a coincidence but figured I’d ask.

Back