Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Throwback Thursday of a different sort

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Henry and I were tired of watching roosters flush at .243 range, so we opted to make a drive today and take out our frustrations on Senor Red Legs, aka the chukar partridge.

We went to a spot that used to be a favorite smallmouth bass fishery when my wife and I were dating. I hadn't fished or hunted it in 22 years, way too long.

001.JPG

002.JPG

A fishing hole we tried to drown in while wading across the river with my blue heeler standing on my head.

003.JPG

Two bullz. No digiscoping today.

004.JPG

Climb hills. Walk in when dog points. Shoot. Watch dog retrieve. Repeat.

005.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

Drive home in the snow and stop at Dutch Brothers.

013.JPG

Darned near perfect if you ask me.:)

So here is my gear plug.

Sitka Talus gloves - I bought these initially for climbing, but have worn them a lot for hunting this year. These are now my new favorite bird hunting gloves. I shoot with them on with no issues, and they turn back the cactus, sharp rocks, and thistles quite well.

Federal ammo - I used to buy whatever I could find on the cheap. I order this by the case and end up paying around $15 a box. I went to this because I could match the velocities of my upland and waterfowl loads and I didn't have to re-learn my lead all the time. My cripple rate has gone WAY down since switching to this stuff.

Beretta 391 - not much can or needs said here:)

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 434
Very nice! Henry has come along marvelously. Well done by the both of you.

Thanks Pointer. He has progressed very well. He's 2 1/2 this year and this is his third season. His retrieves yesterday were outstanding. If a bird goes down, he's finding it.

Looks like Henry did you proud ....... again. Congrats.

I just love watching him work. Yesterday he was re-positioning on his points very well. The chukars were creeping badly on him, and he figured that out really quickly.

Even though the bird didn't hold, I watched Henry work a rooster on Sunday that was running like a scalded cat. It was a thing of beauty to watch him work the scent trail, button hook around and point the bird.

Thanks Pointer. He has progressed very well. He's 2 1/2 this year and this is his third season. His retrieves yesterday were outstanding. If a bird goes down, he's finding it.
Great to hear. I've been reading in the training books about the terrible 2s (ie second year of hunting) for dogs. I'll have some questions in 2 years! :D

My cousin just went bird hunting for the first time last week. He just put a deposit down on a bird dog yesterday. Theres nothing like watching a dog work on some birds!

Love the 391s! Used to shoot the 303 back in the old days but we had issues shooting hot chukar loads through them.
Great pics! Sent you a PM about GWPs since I didn't want to hijack your thread.

Back