Thoughts on Wolves?

Some of the Yellowstone packs had multiple litters early on when the food sources where comparable to an all you can smorgasboard for $7.99. I believe one pack produced 20 some pups in one batch from 3 bitches. Now that wolf pops are reaching saturation that will not happen again. I saw wolf tracks in all but one drainage I hunted last year. Mostly single tracks. Montana has no plans to implement a wolf hunt even if delisting occurs in the near future. Sometime down the road they may use hunting as a management tool according to the wolf biologist that presented at a local wildlife meeting. Then again hunting may never be used according to her. So Wyoming "grandstanding" with the wolf issue doesn't mean squat to whether or not we will be able to hunt wolves. IMO they were the only state with a half way reasonable management plan. Only collared packs are counted in official population estimates at this time in Montana. Off the record wolf populations in this area are closer to double that estimate.

BTW what's taking Idaho so long getting approval to smoke all those wolves in the upper Clearwater? Jose said it was a slam dunk.

My message to the granola eating hippies?
wlf5tk.jpg

HH, that is quite possibly the funniest pic I have seen all week. Keep em comin!

Where are the reports on the bears and lions eating more than wolves? I am pretty sure the wolves are close to twice Wyomings suggested carrying capacity in the state. If the elk in the state were twice the carrying capacity there would be depredation hunts out the wazoo. In that situation, what better way to take care of it than to have hunts, one way or another.

Ithica, did you know that MT fills its quota on lions pretty much in every unit every year. Very, very few units don't meet kill quota in the 'wolf' area. I'm not sure about WY and ID however.

HH is that Rick in the background of your picture?

Well then why don't you guys go to Idaho or Wy and shoot a bear and a lion? Maybe you guys don't know the effect bears and lions have on elk. There's at least 20,000 bears in ID and probably 5000 lions. Probably around a thousand wolves. All the big talkers in the bars say they're going to shoot a wolf to help the elk herds, but they don't shoot a bear or lion every year. We've spent endless time discussing it in Sportsman's Issues. I don't have time to explain it all now. Gotta go hunting for a few days.

Here's a few topics : http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20174&highlight=bears

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21681&highlight=bears

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18917&highlight=bears

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20033&highlight=bears

I agree that bears and lions take more than wolves, simply because there is about 30x the number (or more) of these predators than wolves. But, bears at least don't target ungulates exclusively. Lions, you will get no argument from me that they need to be controlled. Wolves target ungulates almost exclusively, are very efficient hunters (pack hunters) and will kick the crap out of any lion in their territory. The concern is uncontrolled, aggressive, efficient predators (wolves) populating the entire state of Idaho. The wolves in Idaho are now spread out over the entire state and there are more wolves in Idaho alone than what the feds said was needed in the 3 state area to trigger local controls. Whats up with that? They can't even follow their own rules. It wouldn't bother me if the wolves were completely eliminated from Idaho, but I know that won't happen. The next best thing is control, and from the fiasco up in the clearwater it is apparent that any control programs undertaken by the IDFG will be met with resistance from the feds and subject to "management by e-mail" when the defenders of wildlife send 41000 form letters (all identical) opposing the control actions. And if it makes you feel better, I think we need more control on lions and bears, and coyotes. Predators in Idaho are taking a bigger slice of the pie than most people think.

IDHunters said:
And if it makes you feel better, I think we need more control on lions and bears, and coyotes. Predators in Idaho are taking a bigger slice of the pie than most people think.

How big of a slice of the pie are you advocating be given to the predators?

"How big of a slice of the pie are you advocating be given to the predators?"

100% of the Idaho liberals and 50% of the illegals would be the serving size I would advocate for. But I don't live in Idaho, so I'll let you guys from there work it out.

JoseCuervo said:
As I expected, BHR can't put together an even semi-intelligent response, and even worse, his lame attempts at humour are pathetic.
Come on, it was pretty funny.
How come you are not out there killing a bear. Are you getting too old like Moosie?

Back