Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thoughts on taking my 70 year old Dad Elk Hunting

FlatlandHunter

I am looking for input on what direction I should look for taking my 70 year old Dad Elk Hunting. He has hunted Elk 3 times and never been successful over the years. The last trip I took him on was disastrous as he slipped on opening morning and tore his meniscus which left him in camp or only limping a couple hundred yards off the road. I have discussed him just paying for a guided hunt on a Ranching For Wildlife hunt in CO but he wants me to go with him and I will not pay that kind of money.

I was successful backpacking into the backcountry of CO this year and he used to go into the same area with a drop camp outfitter. There are elk there but I am sure a 5-7 mile hike 1 way is out of the question unless I can get him to ride a bike into the point the Wilderness starts. I am trying to find an outfitter for a drop camp in that area since the one they used has passed away. I am also looking at trespass fee hunts. I have told him that I would not even buy a tag if he wants to go and I would just be the mule and work to try and find him an elk since that would take the pressure off of me to try and find 2 elk.

Thoughts on what you would do or have done for Dad's that have some age on them?

Thanks,
Brian

I too am in the same exact situation. Except for my dad never tore anything.

I really want him to get an elk before its too late. The costs of a guided hunt are just too high.

I wish there was an over 70 tag. Dad has a couple preference points in Wyoming.

Best of luck to your dad.

I have the same issue with my Dad. We did and antelope hunt this year and within the next year or two we will do a mule deer hunt in Montana. I really dont think it matters to him if he kills anything anymore. He was just glad to be able to make another trip out west and hang out somewhere else since he is retired.

I think that the best solution for an elk hunt would be private land like Ranching for Wildlife and most places offer additional fees for non hunting members to come along. Hopefully you or your dad could swing the extra $100 to $200 a day for non hunting person like most are charging.

HYh2oKG.jpg

I too am in the same exact situation. Except for my dad never tore anything.

I really want him to get an elk before its too late. The costs of a guided hunt are just too high.

I wish there was an over 70 tag. Dad has a couple preference points in Wyoming.

Best of luck to your dad.

I asked about feelings on a over 70 tag about a year ago and just about was run off the forum !!!!!! Good luck.

Honestly, I would take a look at Cow tags in Wyoming. You can get into some terrain that is easier to navigate and don't have to hike in 5-7 miles.

I would bite the bullet and spend the money for a guided hunt for both of you. It will be memories that will last your whole life.

Also some outfitters charge a reduced price for you to go with but not hunt.

I spent a couple days in Wyoming this year hiking in, scrambling over deadfall, gaining/losing elevation, and it worked as I shot my cow this year 2.5 miles from the truck. Then, in the next day and a half packing it out, I bumped groups of elk twice an easy 1/2 mile or less from the nearest road. Point being, you may up your odds by getting out and burning the boot leather, but you could also get lucky by looking for sign then posting your dad up in a likely looking area. Worst case, he gets to stare at some cool scenery for a week.

Good luck!

Schaaf, no one puts into better words then you my friend hahaha

I think I would look at some higher success rate States that maybe don't give out as many tags, but have good hunting without requiring a ton of hiking. Pay more for the tag than an OTC State, but up your chances of seeing something closer to a road.

Also, like others have said, he is the one that has to want it. My dad used to come out to CO for elk hunting. He shot a small bull the first year and missed one another year, but the last time he came out (when he was 65) he said he had had enough. Climbing mountains, even on trails, had lost its appeal. The aches and pains outweighed the fresh air and the chance of getting a shot.

If you can swing it at all, go on the hunt with your dad, even if just as a spectator/guest. My dad's been gone 10yrs. If I'd of known then what I know now I'd have made more sacrifices in both time and money to go on more hunts with him.

My dad will be 74 in May. We will be putting in for New Mexico archery elk this spring and if we don't draw that, we will put in for our Wyoming mule deer tags again this year. We would have been in Wyoming this fall hunting mulies if not for the fires that closed our unit. Dad does really well for his age. Last year we were fortunate enough to have a really nice friend who is well-to-do gift us the money for a guided hunt in New Mexico for elk. I was kind of an antagonist because I've always liked to do things DIY. In the end, I saw how much dad wanted to do it so I capitulated and took him. It was a great trip and one that I'll remember always. I'm so glad I did it. Granted, it would have been hard to do if not for the money from our friend. If there is any way at all you can do it, for your dads sake, and just go along as a spectator, do the guided hunt. You won't regret it.

Whats more important to your Dad, just getting an elk or the type of hunt? I have filmed some elk hunts on the ranching for wildlife hunts, and I wouldn't consider them what you think about when going on an elk hunt. It was a lot more like an antelope hunt. Nothing against that type of hunt, but when I think of elk hunting its up in the mountains. There is a reason they are one of the lowest success rate animals.

If it was me I would find a unit you can draw with decent success rate or maybe a unit wide landowner tag for a better unit. and hunt smart. You don't always have to go far from the road to get one.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

You should be talking to your Dad more to figure out what exactly he wants. If it’s just to be with you on a western hunting trip for elk in high country with lots of walking or? Lots of options but if you want to satisfy him, you need to listen to what he wants, not what you think he wants or needs. Not what someone else did for their Dad. What’s his priority? To be with you may be the only thing or it may be that he wants to kill an elk.

it is completely doable, depending on what your goal is. if cows are ok, you are good. You may be lucky and get a bull close to the road, but cows are more plentiful and easier to find. My dad and I went for cows and were able to connect. It took us the rest of the day to pack them out and it was a total blast. Dad will be 78 in may...

Last edited:
You should be talking to your Dad more to figure out what exactly he wants. If it’s just to be with you on a western hunting trip for elk in high country with lots of walking or? Lots of options but if you want to satisfy him, you need to listen to what he wants, not what you think he wants or needs. Not what someone else did for their Dad. What’s his priority? To be with you may be the only thing or it may be that he wants to kill an elk.

Bingo!!!! I took my dad on a hunt a few years back at 79, His idea of elk hunting was to spend time with his sons and serve as camp chef. We hiked at his pace when he wanted to hike, heard and saw elk... that's it. To date, one of the best elk hunts me and my brothers have ever been on.

Very good points I am going to be at my Parents tomorrow and will discuss it with him further.

One of the best elk hunts I had with my son was a drop camp hunt in Colorado where we didn't see or hear a thing. i'm 62. This year we had a big game combo tag in Montana and I shot a mule deer. I overheard him telling his mom on the phone, "that this hunt was already awesome because he got to watch me punch my Montana mule deer tag". It's the little things.

Back