Thoughts on MR dragon slayer

gman82001

Does anyone run one of the Mystery Ranch Dragon slayers or even the Bighorn I need the good bad and the ugly. Im leaning more towards the dragon slayer though. Im looking for an awesome day pack to end all day packs ive tried all the box store stuff and a couple months ago picked up a used Kuiu icon 1850 thinking it would be the one but it just doesn't feel right to me im 6'3 260 and biiiiggggg. and extended all the way just feels like I need another couple inches on everything but especially the shoulders to hip length so im hoping the MR adjustable yoke is the ticket. I don't need a huge pack just a good solid daypack that will handle a front shoulder strapped to it on the first load out. we hunt all day from camp or a trail head but always come back to camp at night so no need for a huge freighter setup at this point. Any input from you guys would be much appreciated

I've been using a bighorn for a couple years now for almost all my day hunting. I really like the pack, fits me really well although I'm built quite a bit different than you at 5'10" 155. I've happily packed a couple elk quarters in it. I have a couple friends with dragon slayers and they are happy as well. I think the bighorn is a little taller frame so that may be of some benefit for you at your height.

I had a Dragon Slayer for a couple years & loved it. Lightweight and very comfortable. I packed out a boned out mule deer with no trouble.

I ended up selling it to a friend so I could buy a Crew Cab. I wish I would have hung onto it for day hunts. Mine was a large yolk and medium waist. I am 6' 3", 215# and it fit perfect.

thanks guys ive looked and looked and decided to give it a try maybe this will be "The ONE"

I looked at those as well, drove to Bozeman to check them out in person. Really liked them, heavy duty but just wasn't 100% sold on MR. I did a lot of research between MR, stone glacier and Kuiu. I was going to go with the Kuiu but stumbled on the Exo mountain packs that are just now coming out. Still waiting for mine but the reviews have been stellar so far. You will be happy with your pack!

man I hope so im tired of losing money on packs lol... On another note does anybody know the wait on the mr packs by chance? I ordered a good 15 minutes ago and its not here yet

Your going to love the dragon slayer. It works great as a daypack and can also handle so decent weight for that first pack out back to the truck.

I've been using the Dragonslayer as my primary pack the last couple years.

I love it because it's narrow enough that I can still draw my bow with it on, and it's stout enough that I can still load a ton of meat in it for the first load out.

I've carried meat with it a half dozen or so times, and it's handled as much as I can every time I've loaded it down.

I will say, due to the size of the bag, it can be kind of a hassle to get everything to fit at times. I've had to use parachute cord a couple different times to get everything snugged in when I have a load on. Because of this, I think if I was doing it again I'd get the bighorn just for the little bit extra bag size.

Here's some pictures of how mines been used-

069_zps36e9c165.jpg

047_zpscfe02d43.jpg

056.jpg

1095095_10201363621305222_1565836750_n_zps5d237590.jpg

As you can see, I've had to improvise when I've had loads on to get everything secure.

Man you guys have me excited now I ordered it in foilage with 2 hip pockets and the stick it. I think with those ill be able to set it up just how I want and if it fits properly should be an awesome pack. Thanks for the help guys and feel free to keep the stories/pics coming while I wait for my new pack. My cc did just get charged and an email saying my order was accepted I'm hoping maybe since its not a full custom pack the wait won't be too unbearable. Lol

Order fulfilled and a tracking number already now to see if UPS can get it from bozeman to cheyenne by friday so I can use it .... Wow MR I was expecting a wait this is awesome!

Last edited:
Back