Caribou Gear Tarp

Thoughts on GMU 71 Now that its a draw

There are no elk left in the SW units. That is why everything is draw instead of OTC now. As long as you enjoy long hikes with your rifle and beautiful views you will surely have the trip of a lifetime. ;)

There are no elk left in the SW units. That is why everything is draw instead of OTC now. As long as you enjoy long hikes with your rifle and beautiful views you will surely have the trip of a lifetime. ;)
SLM864...Remind me to call you when I need someone to rain on a parade! LOL :)

SLM864...Remind me to call you when I need someone to rain on a parade! LOL :)
Haha anytime.
In all honesty the times I’ve hunted any of those SW units it’s pretty tough. The glassing is very limited to non existent in the areas I went. Plenty of pressure. Steep and deep is your best bet.
some of the roads get a little hairy with a lot of rain and snow accumulates fast and can make it tough to get out. Pretty typical of western hunts.

That is what my research was showing...Post-rut and heavy pressure unit - Go to spots where others won't! As far as roads, my plan is to have a base camp (trailer), but use my UTV to hit remote areas and just spike camp. It's a four day season, so no need to go back to base, just stay where the elk are and get the job done! My Honda Pioneer 1000 is an amazing vehicle and I've taken it places others dare not travel, so should be okay. Not sure how CO is with UTV's (I got the tag for it already), but here is AZ, you can take UTV pretty much anywhere (even right up to carcass) to retrieve game. IS that the same with CO?

here is AZ, you can take UTV pretty much anywhere (even right up to carcass) to retrieve game. IS that the same with CO?

It is not the same. There are units where you can do this, but not most of them. Triple check the regulations for your specific hunt area before driving off a marked trail.

Unit 71 has many many roads and trails cutting through most of it. The hunting pressure is severe. Don’t be surprised to see other hunters every other hour. That said ,there are still animals there. You just have to tell yourself it’s not a secluded hunt and be okay with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back