Thought I was a goner

brockel

Had some vacation I needed to burn before the end of the year so I took this week off to do some calling. Today’s weather was supposed to be light winds in the morning picking up late afternoon.

First stand had a double come screaming in to some howls. At 100 yards I started whistling to get them to stop, at 75 yards I started barking, by 40 yards I was basically yelling and finally had to take the running shot at 30 as they were going to just blow right by me luckily rolling the big male. Wish I’d have packed the shotgun with.

Second stand was a dud but did cut some fairly fresh mountain lion tracks. Did get some howls about 1.5 miles away so I headed that way.

Third stand I set up in a rock pile on a rolling ridge that I could cover where I figured the coyotes were going to come from plus I could still see my downwind side. About 10 minutes into the stand I hear a rock roll behind me and just as I turn my head there’s a streak of fur bearing down on me 6’ away. I thought for sure it was the mountain lion and I was a goner. Turns out it was a coyote that had to have come running right by the pickup as it was the only way he could get to that spot. My extremely manly squeal made him turn tail and run. I got him to stop at what I thought was about 350 but after I shot over him I ranged it and it was closer to 300. Here’s the path the coyote took and where I was sitting
EBA865A7-50D3-4A4C-9A0E-BDBC4E959099.jpeg
4th stand had a double coming in hard again to some pup whimpers. Finally got the little female to lock up at 40 yards. Dumped her and swung on the other coyote but it kicked on the afterburners and blew right by me.

Next two stands were a bust and then the wind started blowing pretty hard. Was a really fun day having them come in so hard. Just don’t get those hard chargers on public land in eastern Montana very often anymore. Ended up with just the two. Should have had the third. If I’d have packed the shotgun I could have probably added two more.
5250E749-DABA-4627-98EB-D0AD4D7E1A51.jpeg

Congrats do you do anything with the fur? We use to sell furs we tree we trapped and hunted but has been awhile now we mainly hunt them Just to try to make a dent in them there is so many

Nice! Tmbringing the shotgun is kind of a pain but I try to make myself do it. Pays off big time when they charge in fast and hard.
Don’t normally have to worry about them charging in that hard around here. Being open country they will usually check up 100-150 yards. Today was an odd day for sure

Looks really good. I have been seeing them lately trailing antelope herds. However there are not that many new born fawns in November timeframe (actually none that I know of) which is what they usually go after in this area. Haven't figured out why they are trailing the antelope herds yet at this time of the year. One day, I will ask a biologist what they think.

Looks really good. I have been seeing them lately trailing antelope herds. However there are not that many new born fawns in November timeframe (actually none that I know of) which is what they usually go after in this area. Haven't figured out why they are trailing the antelope herds yet at this time of the year. One day, I will ask a biologist what they think.
Have seen them do work on antelope when the snow gets deep. Have also seen coyotes run antelope out on ponds and get them that way too

Have seen them do work on antelope when the snow gets deep. Have also seen coyotes run antelope out on ponds and get them that way too
Could be. They could be after wounded animals as hunting is in season for does type 6 or 8 tags until December 31. It is also on the dry side so they may be after drought weakened antelope. The area is mainly dryland farming and the few irrigated fields have been harvested now so no water outside the creek by town and the few streams and watering holes in rest of the area.

My extremely manly squeal made him turn tail and run. I got him to stop at what I thought was about 350 but after I shot over him I ranged it and it was closer to 300.
I've been there before with the manly squeal in the great outdoors. The first thing I did was look around embarrassed to see if anyone heard it, even though I knew there was no one anywhere nearby.

I've been there before with the manly squeal in the great outdoors. The first thing I did was look around embarrassed to see if anyone heard it, even though I knew there was no one anywhere nearby.

Me too, but it was after being surprised by an alligator at about 10 feet so I stand by it as the right reaction lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back