This is why we can't have nice things

R.K.

More rant than anything productive- Found on National Forest land in Montana this weekend while chasing bears.

IMG_20190601_144946532.jpg

A destroyed fence to allow ATV/snowmobile access to a road closed for dangerous conditions.

IMG_20190531_105413926.jpg

A homemade trail building tool left on an illegal mountain bike trail.

IMG_20190601_124556721_HDR.jpg

And finally- a gate bent up with a high lift jack to allow ATVs underneath the gate and down the closed road. The lower embankment next to the gate is so eroded from side-travel, that you cannot safely take an atv around the gate. Two riders met me about two miles back (on my way out)- they eventually turned around and were apologetic back at the gate, claiming they had a "bad map". I kindly explained that Forest MVUMs are free, and directed them to an open road not too far away. They were nice, just uninformed- would gladly share a beer with them anytime.

After they had left, another hunter with his young son took off down the same road. Unfortunately, I then witnessed a true "winner" make a couple loops on his racing atv to see all the gated roads, only to come back and duck under the bent one I was parked next to, and then really open it up. He undoubtedly overtook the hunters that had recently left. This guy didn't stop to chat on his way out, after I believe he got an earful from a well-armed, well-informed hunter down the road.

Overall- I was very annoyed with what I saw. Old car parts, cases of empty shotgun shells, beer cans, candy bar wrappers, and general abuse including non-compliance with closures resulting in damage to the roadways. There was not one single National Forest sign, of any kind, that was without bullet holes- from a 20ga slug down to a .22. It mostly looked like .30-caliber rifle of some variety, with a fair bit of .45 and 9mm thrown in. Some were then driven over for good measure.

I'm headed back to look for a bear again in two weeks, and I'm hoping some trees fall across those closed roads during these thunderstorms that are so frequent right now. Probably going to a different access, though- not much sign of any kind in those areas.

I'm probably just salty I didn't see any bears, but there's no excuse for the level of disrespect for the public resource. Rant over.

I grew up in Idaho and worked for the Forrst Service and this wasnt a totally uncommon sight. Now working as a biologist I have noticed that many people who love the outdoors have no idea that they just trash it. Sometimes literally by leaving trash behind other times by destroying gates and signs, it's frustrating to see.

Its unfortunate that with the lack of law enforcement officers to patrol and correct these misguided individuals, it falls to us to do it for them. Not only do we need to inform them they are in the wrong, but we need to turn them in for their just punishment as well. Sucks, but it's everyone's responsibility.

Stuff like that is unfortunetly what got my familys small farm closed to hunting for anyone but people that we know well, a few bad apples will ruin a good thing for the majority. There is only so much vandalism, garbage, vehicle damage and bullet holes before access is closed. It’s really frustrating on private land, and just a dang shame on our public lands. Some people don’t have landowner friends or family so public is there only option.Dissapointing, and I’ve seen it on our state WMA’s too.

I saw one of those metal gate that had been ripped out of the ground in South Dakota. On the prairie in SD a bunch of road closed signs were put up. Just a metal stake with the brown triangle closure sign over it. I’d bet within a week of them being but op people had driven over them. It’s really to bad that people have to act like that.

Stuff like that is unfortunetly what got my familys small farm closed to hunting for anyone but people that we know well, a few bad apples will ruin a good thing for the majority. There is only so much vandalism, garbage, vehicle damage and bullet holes before access is closed. It’s really frustrating on private land, and just a dang shame on our public lands. Some people don’t have landowner friends or family so public is there only option.Dissapointing, and I’ve seen it on our state WMA’s too.

This type stuff is what I often refer to in Texas hog hunting discussions when guys wonder why land owners don't just let people on their property all nilly willy.

Whenever I hike at the state parks here I bring a bag and pick up trash as I go. It's sad how people are.

I saw numerous dirt bikers and offroaders violating seasonal road closures on national forest land. Tried calling the Forest Service. Office was closed on weekends, so couldn't get a hold of anyone to respond. Called the sheriff as well, but they didn't seem too interested in getting involved.

I salute you rwc, RK and everyone who speaks up to violators, takes pics, reports violations to LEOs. When we stop opposing them because it doesn't seem to make a difference, they win. Call out violators: "This trail is closed, your tracks go right past the sign that says so," or "You are breaking the law/rules. Not OK." Take pics, videos. Unclear if fighting w them helps, or sabotage. I would like to see a shaming page online where pics, videos of public land scofflaws get posted, to promote "positive peer pressure," against dikfors who screw up public lands. There are way more good guys than bad guys, the bad guys need to hear about it from the good guys.

Take pictures! Get license plates! Turn them in! Public shaming is great! Fines are better.

I didn't report any of this- not sure who to report to. Didn't get license plates. Plus, it was the weekend, so nobody was open.

It's just one of the three violators I'd like to see get a citation- the other two were apologetic. Probably not my place to decide, but still...

I'll look into reporting it today, and take more trash bags along if I make it back there. I've got all my tracks saved, so that might help.

I've thought about hanging trail cams in strategic places hoping to catch a license plate, then I'd just mail it to the land manager in the area.

This type stuff is what I often refer to in Texas hog hunting discussions when guys wonder why land owners don't just let people on their property all nilly willy.

Whenever I hike at the state parks here I bring a bag and pick up trash as I go. It's sad how people are.
I do the same, I have a local fishing spot that is really good but because of that is always full of bait containers, wrappers and cans. I’ve called people out on it before when they head out with trash left on the ground, there is even a trash can at the access point! So frustrating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back