Thinking bout 10 gauge?!

IdahoCritterGetter

I am fairly new to the waterfowln and was wondering if anyone round here has recently used 10 gauge for ducks? I know it is not uncommon for goose huntn but just thought I would ask.

Why would you want to do that? Just wondering what a 10 ga. can do for ducks that a 12 ga. wouldn't?
Nemont

I agree with NEMont. I don't see any benefit to using a 10 ga., unless you want to spend more $$ on ammo and go home with a bruised shoulder.

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing about your waterfowl excursions.

thanks for the feedback, main reason is still haveing trouble judgeing distance and seem to be shooting at them a little higher than norm. don't bruise so not worried bout all that, but ammo would be a big factor for this country boy I recon. 12ga. loads high enough. Thanks again though appreciate feed back.

I use a rem sp-10 on ducks, mostly just to get used the same gun for geese. You won't extend your range too much going from a 12 to a 10 (perhaps a few yards) but you will put more shot in your target(cleaner kill). To use as a dedicated duck gun, I think i'd stick with a 12 and switch to heavy shot or bismumth. A really high velocity steel load (1450 fps or so) might be another answer. With steel you want velocity, not more payload.

I guess a comprimise would be one of those new er 12 gauges that shoot 3 1/2, 3, and 2 3/4 inch shells. I think a 10 gauge is 4 inch and has more pellets, so you could shoot a bigger pellet and have more of them in the 10 guage, so you would get more power that way, but a 12 would do well on ducks. If they fly fast, its really hard to judge where to shoot. Maybe wait till they've almost landed or really slow down, so you nail them. You could always practice with those clay pigeons, this is the time of year for that.

D'uhhhh, I might just be a simple boy from the sticks, but I have always found the most fun shooting Ducks (and Geese) is to DECOY them in. I would guess most ducks I kill are within 15 yards, and geese at maybe 25 yards.

The whole sport of waterfowling is to trick the birds into landing, in my opinion. I love to have geese land, and walk in my decoys, nothing better to prove that you had your dekes and call working 100%.

Besides, who wants to eat more ducks? I would be an advocate of Catch and Release Duck Hunting, if only John Browing's handiwork wasn't fatal.... ;)

Again thanks fellas, and actually I do pretty good with clays average bout 8 out of 10 when hand thrown, but it just seems alot diffrent when your trying to get those ducks. Practice, practice, practice seems to be the key but good info coming in. Thanks all!

Sorry, I knew a guy with one and he mentioned 4 inch shells once, I thought?, maybe he was exaggerating? I think, I'd vote for a 12 gauge 3 1/2 then, they also shoot the 3 and the 2 3/4 and a 10 gauge is only like 0.05 inches wider. Does that really make a lot of difference?

IMO You really don't gain much by going to a 10, a little more shot than a 3-1/2 12 buy not much. 1/8th of an oz or so. The cost of shells is just a little more than the 3-1/2 12 gauge but not much. The down side is you have to shoot full power shells unless you reload.

You can't buy the 2-3/4 for $8 a box and have fun you have to fork out $15-18 every time. I just think the 12 gauge is much more versitile. I pretty much do all my duck hunting with low-ly 2-3/4" shells... I miss to much and shooting the bigger ones hurts my wallet...

The whole sport of waterfowling is to trick the birds into landing, in my opinion. I love to have geese land, and walk in my decoys, nothing better to prove that you had your dekes and call working 100%.
Nothing better than outwitting a bird with the brain the size of a marble. :D ;)

Wait a minute, they usually don't fall for my set-ups, so that must mean I am dumber than a ...never mind,...oh yeh, good post, thanks for sharing. :D :D

Originally posted by Tom:
Sorry, I knew a guy with one and he mentioned 4 inch shells once, I thought?, maybe he was exaggerating? I think, I'd vote for a 12 gauge 3 1/2 then, they also shoot the 3 and the 2 3/4 and a 10 gauge is only like 0.05 inches wider. Does that really make a lot of difference?
The 3,5" 12 ga. is a ballistic nitemare IMO. I've yet to see one pttern as well as the 10 ga. will. Perhaps the higher pressure 12 ga. load blows the wads open sooner?

well I've decided stick with a 12, but thinking of getting 10 anyways you know compensation or something like that....lol. Anyways good info guys thanx again!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back