Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

There Are Still Good Bucks Out There

Always great to share hunts with our kids! Congrats on 2 fantastic deer. I always look forward to seeing which piece of artwork you pulled from the safe.

You need to stick to things you are more familiar with, this is a long way from your wheelhouse. The Garand is a WWII era rifle developed just before the war, with military issue ammunition used in the 1903 Springfield. The military issued 30-06 cartridge was 2700 FPS with 150 grain fmj bullets. IMR 4350 is too slow a powder and 165 grain bullets a bit too big at that velocity.

Here is a good article by John Barsness that may help to better understand M1 Garand ballistics.

It is a great rifle and way more accurate than many people give it credit for.
I am well aware that Garand was WWII armament. I said the cartridge dated to pre WWI and is hardly "girly". You compared the Garand RIFLE to the 6.5 Creedmoor CARTRIDGE. Apples and oranges. I was asking if you were confusing the M1 Garand with M1 carbine which I think you will agree shot a cartridge that was wimpy. I'm not sure the Garand was ever viewed as either glamorous, wimpy, or trendy, like the Creedmoor often is. So I'm a bit confused about the comparison. Though he saw limited combat in South Pacific, my dad preferred Springfield rifle over Garand. The latter he found to be too heavy and sometimes problematic operation. The 03A3 never failed. He felt GIs wasted a lot more ammo with semiautomatic Garand. It has never been NEARLY as popular as 03A3 for sporting rifle. Any theories as to why?

Last edited:
GREAT lookin deer!!!!! Glad to see they are still out there (somewhere) cause I cant seem to find them. Congrats to you both!

I am well aware that Garand was WWII armament. I said the cartridge dated to pre WWI and is hardly "girly". You compared the Garand RIFLE to the 6.5 Credemore CARTRIDGE. Apples and oranges. I was asking if you were confusing the M1 Garand with M1 carbine which I think you will agree shot a cartridge that was wimpy. I'm not sure the Garand was ever viewed as either glamorous, wimpy, or trendy, like the Credemore often is. So I'm a bit confused about the comparison. Though he saw limited combat in South Pacific, my dad preferred Springfield rifle over Garand. The latter he found to be too heavy and sometimes problematic operation. The 03A3 never failed. He felt GIs wasted a lot more ammo with semiautomatic Garand. It has never been NEARLY as popular as 03A3 for sporting rifle. Any theories as to why?

No more commentary, stay on track with something pertinent or be silent.

I have no idea what shrapnel meant by his comparison to the 6.5 CM.

While it was quite clear that OntarioHunter meant that the 30-06 had been around long before WWI(since 1906 obviously, and sort of since 1903), I don’t know why he thinks that a cartridge firing a 150gr bullet with a low BC and moderate SD at 2700-2800fps is a “man killer”(military 30-06), yet a cartridge firing a VERY high BC, and VERY high SD 156gr bullet at 2680fps(factory 6.5CM ammo) should be compared to a 30 Carbine which fired a 110gr bullet with a horrible BC and SD at just under 2000fps, and which he refers to as “girly”.

When the 7.62 NATO came out, it outperformed the 30-06 military ammo of the time. Even those 7.62 NATO loads were mild compared to current SAMMI spec 308Win and 30-06 Springfield ammo. The 30TC(6.5CM parent) was designed equal the performance of a 308Win while fitting into some short Thompson Center firearm. It very nearly does, and as a result, the 6.5CM, which is just a necked down 30TC, will almost shoot a bullet of equal weight at the same velocity as a 308Win, yet the 6.5CM will have a higher BC and SD. Again, how that is somehow inferior to WWII 30-06 ammo makes no sense at all.

I didn’t realize that you shouldn’t shoot modern civilian ammo through a Garand, but it comes as no surprise.

Awesome deer, and awesome rifles y’all hunted with.

Last edited:
shrapnel,
That is a great public(ish) land buck for your son and two very cool rifles (as per usual with you)😁.
Congratulations to both of you!

I have never seen a photo of a Garand used on an ungulate hunt. Your choice of weapons continue to impress me. Thanks for sharing.

Is there a factory hunting round specific for the Garand? I always thought it would be fun to hunt with mine, but it had been my understanding not to use regular 30-06 ammo for it.
Hornady makes a "vintage match" .30-06 round loaded with the 168 gr ELD-M, which is actually a very good hunting bullet on deer-sized game.

OP - NICE deer, and classy rifles!

Congrats! Give me nostalgia for many days spent in similar settings in Eastern MT hunting mule deer with my dad growing up.

One of the best public land whitetail hunters I know hunts with a garand. His rifle has been lugged all over these mountains here at home and looks that way. Congrats.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back