Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

The veil has been opened! 1/11

We made it back home. I spent the afternoon butchering the animal. I was able to salvage all four quarters, trim meat and some loose flanks for birria. My wife and I seared a slice of the backstraps. Had an odd metallic taste like gunpowder almost. We seasoned it with salt and pepper and olive oil but wasn’t too satisfied with the taste. I haven’t packed anything yet, might consider a salt brine before it is frozen.
That’s because it’s bloodshot. You need to trim farther away from the bullet damage. Been there once and learned.

That’s because it’s bloodshot. You need to trim farther away from the bullet damage. Been there once and learned.
That makes sense. I thought I had cut it an inch or so away from the shot. I’ll cut a bit more.

Otherwise, it tasted great. Didn’t even know it was pronghorn.

Congratulations!! I'm in the boat where I have the monkey on my back currently. I have one last chance Saturday at trying to fill my archery elk tag, and then it's on to rifle mule deer for October. Hoping the stars align for one or both of those adventures!

Final count after grinding up the meat, this trip received the following food haul:

- 20 lbs of pronghorn meat (18 lbs grounded with beef fat)
- One large duffel sack of green chili (CO and NM know)
- 20 lbs of farm fresh triple washed pinto beans
- 5 lbs of frozen blueberries
- 5 lbs of San Marzano tomatoes (from the garden)
- half a blueberry pie (other half was eaten on my birthday)
- 6 lbs of white rice
- one butterfingers bar

That’s a good haul.

Pronghorn hunting this weekend with a rifle. Let’s get another on the wall.

It was super interesting to eat. Nice and soft tender meat. Reminded me of beef but I knew the difference. Very mild after the salt brine and mixed with beef fat. My wife liked it a lot and she’s pretty picky.

If all 2-year old bucks are like this one you guys will never see a B&C buck in my trophy room.

It was super interesting to eat. Nice and soft tender meat. Reminded me of beef but I knew the difference. Very mild after the salt brine and mixed with beef fat. My wife liked it a lot and she’s pretty picky.

If all 2-year old bucks are like this one you guys will never see a B&C buck in my trophy room.
Why soak the meat?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back