Caribou Gear

The Technology Problem

rmyoung1

In a hunting magazine I recently saw an add for the new Swarovski dS Smart Riflescope (MSRP $4,500). It boasts a built-in rangefinder. When you sight in the scope and pair it with the mobile app, data can be transmitted to the scope via Bluetooth that will then allow for the user to get a target distance reading, an illuminated aiming point corrected for shot angle, temperature, barometric pressure and imbedded hash marks to adjust for pre-selected wind speeds. Distance accuracy is said to be +/- 1 yard out to 1,500 yards and barometric pressure readings within 1/20th of an inch.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic or "Chicken Little" about the world and claim that the sky is falling, but I can't help but feel like, as a hunting community, we have a large problem looming. This threat, like many, seems to come from within. I don't start this thread to begin a where-do-we-draw-the-line argument. But I do think this issue is something that the hunting community, if our traditions and passions are going to be tolerated in an increasingly urbanized democracy, needs to begin to address. Already we have state agencies scrambling to codify a fair chase ethic within their hunting regulations. Those regulations seem to get expanded every year as so-called sportsmen head into the field with game cameras capable of remote transmission, drones, "smart" rifles, etc. etc. etc. I find myself longing for a universal "Hunting Constitution" where hunting ethical boundaries are stated and defended.

Back in 1992 at the first Governor's Symposium on North America's Hunting Heritage, Ann Causey said, "to protect the privilege of morally responsible hunting, we must attack and abolish the unacceptable acts, policies, and attitudes within our ranks that threaten all hunting, as a gangrenous limb threatens the entire body."

I think we need to add "excessive technology" to her list of things to attack. I don't claim to know exactly where to draw that line, but with things like the aforementioned rifle scope, it's going to be difficult to proclaim the values of connecting with nature when we head afield with every possible gadget to overcome it.

Thoughts?

I feel like these threads often go off the rails, but I agree.

We need to draw some lines in the sand, and though people will cry that they are arbitrary, they will just be rough representations of our acceptable thresholds - no different than voting ages, speed limits, or BAC.

I think about this a lot. We live in an incredible time of transition, and will see many more crazy technological changes in our lifetimes.

I think that even if we do put in anti-technology rules, it will be like putting your thumb in the hole of the dam, and largely not make that much of a difference. That's not to say we shouldn't try, but that it's a very uphill battle. We are not at all far from having daily satellite imagery, where you will be able to check satellite images for where game is at, and then go afield and find the same animals that you found in the imagery on your phone. There is no way to regulate that.

I think that inevitably hunter success rates will keep climbing with in-field technology and scouting technology like gohunt and ONX. The only way we can curb these high success rates is to go to limited entry.

Another thing I think about often, is that most of the technological advantages are largely moot in thick, timbered country. I like still hunting through old growth, knowing that someone isn't going to snipe a deer I'm tracking from a half mile away.

I think that inevitably hunter success rates will keep climbing with in-field technology and scouting technology like gohunt and ONX. The only way we can curb these high success rates is to go to limited entry.

This exactly. I think we probably suffer from Shifting Baseline Syndrome on this though, in that we measure everything based on the snapshot in time when we became aware of the idea. Our great grandfathers would probably be shocked at some of the most basic pieces of gear we have now.

I would add that the argument that this will just result in less wound loss, is completely flawed. IMO, it will just embolden individuals to take risky shots at longer distances.

Man, I'm too lazy or technology-adverse to ever be interested in a scope like that. I don't even know what half the apps on my phone do.

Hunting is fun because it rights us with our genetic code--we evolved doing it. The fun is in it's singular focus--it's one of the only things I've ever done in which the noise of everyday life completely vanishes. Especially on a stalk. Stuff like that scope brings the noise to the perfect silence, muddling the experience. I'd bet most hunters would agree.

I agree, however often sweat-equity and patience is the key to a successful hunt.

Technology will not replace sweat-equity or patience...to get where most hunters are unwilling to go,
and then have the patience to wait for days...until that magic moment occurs is so rewarding.

This is why I moved back to open sights on all my rifles bar one. It's the only way to draw a line in the sand i believe amd it most definitely puts things back in the favour of animals. I've shot far too many big game animals that were not realistically in a position to use their senses against me, at that point i consider it shooting not hunting

A topic near and dear to my heart, but for which I have little hope of being resolved.

Ironically, I type this while laying next to my beanfield rifle.

20190107_153236.jpg

As hunter lethality (success) improves opportunity will need to be reduced to control the numbers of animals harvested.

In Washington where I live it seems to be an annual event to legalize some new piece of technology for hunting. Always it seems under the guise of providing for a "more humane harvest". Our rifle elk season is 13 days or so and our archery and muzzy seasons continue to get whittled down. In a state where everyone can get a tag you have to limit the harvest somehow.

I agree, we need to draw a line in the sand.

I'd be good with "no electronics mounted or attached to Bow or Firearm", "No use of radio/digital/cellular communications, image/video/data transmission to aid in the pursuit of game animals while pursuing game animals", "No scopes or other optical sites, musket cap, percussion cap, or flintlock ignition only for muzzleloaders".

Its a start anyway.....or a dream.....

Without all the wonders of tech, how could hunters pick up their device, go to youtube, copy a link to a video, and paste it to a music thread on a public land hunting website?
And how could I "cast shade" upon an activity like the above without my access to the www.
Actually, how would I know what "cast shade " even meant without the online urban dictionary.
I think we're all stuck with this stuff - and whatever it turns into, until the event(s) that dictate ALL hunting is walk-in again, OnX rendered non functional:eek:......
My OnX chip, contained inside a Garmin Map62S is laying out somewhere in an expanse of Central MT snowberry. All the tech hasn't put a "locate-me-when-lost" capability in the unit.
Didn't hurt as bad to lose a compass and a topo map...............................

Last edited:
Without all the wonders of tech, how could hunters pick up their device, go to youtube, copy a link to a video, and paste it to a music thread on a public land hunting website?
And how could I "cast shade" upon an activity like the above without my access to the www.
Actually, how would I know what "cast shade " even meant without the online urban dictionary.
I think we're all stuck with this stuff - and whatever it turns into, until the event(s) that dictate ALL hunting is walk-in again, OnX rendered non functional:eek:......
My OnX chip, contained inside a Garmin Map62S is laying out somewhere in an expanse of Central MT snowberry. All the tech hasn't put a "locate-me-when-lost" capability in the unit.
Didn't hurt as bad to lose a compass and a topo map...............................

You gotta run one of them Rhino gps units. Then you can have your buddy pol your gadget so you can locate it.

I think about this a lot too. When I first started hunting deer here in Illinois which is slug gun and muzzleloader only no rifles, no.1 you had to draw a tag. No. 2 a long shot was 75 yards with a smooth barrel slug gun 100 was almost unheard of. Now tags are otc for all seasons with two extra gun seasons that now a 150 or 200 yard shot is no problem which I'm guilty of taking myself. Not to mention some guys are shooting deer at 60 yards with a bow and crossbows are allowed the entire archery season. All this while our deer herd is a fraction of what it used to be. So we went from a 7 day gun season with a max range of around 70 yards with limited tags, to 105 days of archery season with guys shooting 60 to 70 yards and now 13 days of gun hunting with a max range of 200 all while being able to buy all the tags you want. Never seems to be taken into account.

I can't wait until I can hunt from my phone or computer. Send the drone up the mountain and use the heat recognition to find animals, lock on target, and fire the lazer. Then the drone tracks the animal and then attaches and retrieves the animal so it can be delivered to me.

As hunter lethality (success) improves opportunity will need to be reduced to control the numbers of animals harvested.

In Washington where I live it seems to be an annual event to legalize some new piece of technology for hunting. Always it seems under the guise of providing for a "more humane harvest". Our rifle elk season is 13 days or so and our archery and muzzy seasons continue to get whittled down. In a state where everyone can get a tag you have to limit the harvest somehow.

I agree, we need to draw a line in the sand.

I'd be good with "no electronics mounted or attached to Bow or Firearm", "No use of radio/digital/cellular communications, image/video/data transmission to aid in the pursuit of game animals while pursuing game animals", "No scopes or other optical sites, musket cap, percussion cap, or flintlock ignition only for muzzleloaders".

Its a start anyway.....or a dream.....

I like it!
Matt

I can't wait until I can hunt from my phone or computer. Send the drone up the mountain and use the heat recognition to find animals, lock on target, and fire the lazer. Then the drone tracks the animal and then attaches and retrieves the animal so it can be delivered to me.

Heck ya. Or the drone drops the elk at the processor, then a few days later another drone drops frozen white packages of meat and a finished taxidermy mount at my doorstep.

That was being done in TX. Servo-motor controlled rifles on tripods over a bait pile. Watch the screen, click the mouse, bang, and someone goes out to pick up your "trophy". It was eventually outlawed over substantial resistance.

I wonder what hunting would look like if "archery" mean = no shoulder stocks, no pulleys and "muzzleloaders" meant patched roundballs and iron sights. I don't even need to consider modern rifles to imagine the huge difference these two things would make.

On this forum, I was stunned this fall to see that most people consider a range finder more important than a spotting scope. I see folks looking for a new rifle and most are wanting at least 600-700 yd "capabilities".

For me, the line in the sand is way, way back there.

Heck ya. Or the drone drops the elk at the processor, then a few days later another drone drops frozen white packages of meat and a finished taxidermy mount at my doorstep.

Cue the Old Milwaukee commercial, Boys it just doesn't get any better than this!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back