The Rut Mountain Runs at Big Sky

flyingvmt

Just wondering if there is any other Hunt Talkers signed up for any of the events Labor Day weekend at Big Sky resort? I figure most everyone is die hard in the woods chasing the elk for the opener, but I signed up to do the 28k thinking it would be a good workout accountability partner to keep me putting the miles in for elk season. I have never had a lot of luck with elk movement for opening weekend anyways.

http://runtherut.com

Anybody loco in the head like me? lol

Looks fun! 8,000' of vertical gain in 17 miles is some serious up and down.

I'm running a 17 miler in a couple weeks that I thought had some decent up and down and it is probably closer to 1,000'.

The Elkhorn 52K south of Helena had the most up and down of any race I've ever done and it was 8,000' but over 32 miles, not 17.

Looks fun! 8,000' of vertical gain in 17 miles is some serious up and down.

I'm running a 17 miler in a couple weeks that I thought had some decent up and down and it is probably closer to 1,000'.

The Elkhorn 52K south of Helena had the most up and down of any race I've ever done and it was 8,000' but over 32 miles, not 17.

Ah man. I am thinking about doing the Elkhorn shorter distance as a training race, but I have heard it is rough.

Coming from Lubbock all my life it has been an adjustment getting used to the elevation gains in rides/runs up here.

AT first I thought, heck no. But then remembered I wouldn't have my pack on. Or my boots. Looks like a great workout, just falls on
the wrong weekend

If only I lived 2500 miles further to the left! I love to run, but 8000' vertical gain in 17 miles is out of my league!

Ah man. I am thinking about doing the Elkhorn shorter distance as a training race, but I have heard it is rough.

Coming from Lubbock all my life it has been an adjustment getting used to the elevation gains in rides/runs up here.

My wife ran the short race at the Elkhorn. I think it is pretty manageable. Just up and down one mountain. 3,280' over 15 miles. Just a walk in the park compared to the rut run.

The wife and I along with several friends will be up at Big Sky for the Total Archery Challenge at the end of July. We'll be riding the chair lifts up and hiking down to the base - shooting vicious 3D animals along the way.

Your intentions sound way too energy intensive compared to mine :)

The wife and I along with several friends will be up at Big Sky for the Total Archery Challenge at the end of July. We'll be riding the chair lifts up and hiking down to the base - shooting vicious 3D animals along the way.

Your intentions sound way too energy intensive compared to mine :)

I tend to get myself into more type 2 fun than I should. The Total Archery Challenge sounds like a blast....not sure why I have never made it there in four years of living in Montana....:/

Man, I would really like to run the Rut but no way am I giving up a weekend of actual elk hunting for a weekend of what is essentially training for elk hunting.

In the last 8 years my hunting partner and I have killed 2 bulls on labor day weekend, and I've had close encounters most other years. Even a few crazy, bugling rut-fests. Things can be hit and miss this early in the season, but I would rather be running around the elk woods with a bow than without one.

Man, I would really like to run the Rut but no way am I giving up a weekend of actual elk hunting for a weekend of what is essentially training for elk hunting.

In the last 8 years my hunting partner and I have killed 2 bulls on labor day weekend, and I've had close encounters most other years. Even a few crazy, bugling rut-fests. Things can be hit and miss this early in the season, but I would rather be running around the elk woods with a bow than without one.

Same thoughts I had, but until my wife's 40 year old brother decided to finally get married 9/21 in Texas, I had not worried much about losing a weekend of hunting elk in the heat. Now I am flat pissed lol.

I have always wanted to run the rut my self but being in September that's just not right for me. I am however running the Elkhorn endurance run in the Elkhorn mountains, I am doing the 50k this year and its august 4th which is perfect right before the season.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back