Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The Road to Chamisaville

Do you have a place there, NHY? Seems like you’ve been visiting a lot lately. Can’t say I blame you. Beautiful country.

I recently read the Molegro Beanfield wars and it sparked my interest in rural New
Mexico. I have no idea of the geography but it seems neat. Thanks for sharing

I recently read the Molegro Beanfield wars and it sparked my interest in rural New
Mexico. I have no idea of the geography but it seems neat. Thanks for sharing
Nichols' next (and better IMO) book in the NM trilogy is The Magic Journey. Highly recommended, a fictionalization of the development of Taos (Chamisaville) in the 20th century.

Looks like fun, we are making our first trip there for spring break in March. Any tips for first timers??

Looks like fun, we are making our first trip there for spring break in March. Any tips for first timers??
We've only visited a few times, here's what we enjoyed. If you like art and art history, the Fechin house and museum is a unique exhibit of the many talents of a true Renaissance man. The Earthship community west of town is fascinating. The spa and hot springs of Ojo Caliente are deluxe and divine. Taos Pueblo offers a step into history, over 500 years' worth. Wife loves the Millicent Rogers Museum of Southwest art, particularly the the collection of Maria Martinez and family's stunning black-on-black pottery. Lots of good dining, not to be missed is Michael's Kitchen for breakfast as @noharleyyet pictured above. The bridge across the Rio Grande Gorge is spectacular, and the fishing on the Rio Grande is good, I'm told. Whether you stay there or not, the Taos Inn has a lobby bar with talented live music evenings, and Doc Martin's restaurant there is one of the best in town. Haven't been in the Kit Carson house museum, it is right around the corner from Taos Inn. Directly across the street from the Inn is the town plaza, mostly a shopping venue now, still historic.

We've only visited a few times, here's what we enjoyed. If you like art and art history, the Fechin house and museum is a unique exhibit of the many talents of a true Renaissance man. The Earthship community west of town is fascinating. The spa and hot springs of Ojo Caliente are deluxe and divine. Taos Pueblo offers a step into history, over 500 years' worth. Wife loves the Millicent Rogers Museum of Southwest art, particularly the the collection of Maria Martinez and family's stunning black-on-black pottery. Lots of good dining, not to be missed is Michael's Kitchen for breakfast as @noharleyyet pictured above. The bridge across the Rio Grande Gorge is spectacular, and the fishing on the Rio Grande is good, I'm told. Whether you stay there or not, the Taos Inn has a lobby bar with talented live music evenings, and Doc Martin's restaurant there is one of the best in town. Haven't been in the Kit Carson house museum, it is right around the corner from Taos Inn. Directly across the street from the Inn is the town plaza, mostly a shopping venue now, still historic.
Good stuff we’ll be skiing a few days but will be sure to check some of those places out in our spare time. I’m sure the boys will want to fish, hopefully river not too swollen. I forgot kit Carson lived there, should be an interesting stop.

Was up in angel fire last week. Still need to hit Toas this winter and take atvange of my weekday pass. Looks like they're are supposed to get some storms this weekend. We're just getting to the good part!

Back