Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

The Perfect Summer

49 F here this morning. Feeling bad for folks in the west experiencing those triple digits.

Yeah, I'm jealous! You wouldn't happen to have a car sitting around the Anchorage airport I could use, would you? No rentals, no summer trip to Alaska... :(
Damn, sorry bud, I heard it’s tough. Hope you can make it up to your place.

I might have to leave MT for AK, that looks nice, too damn hot here.
Got some rain to keep wildfire risk down, June makes or breaks the wildfire season in interior AK.
TenDayForecast.JPG

I left Alaska for work in Missoula for a year in 2000...left in August in smoke,
arrived in Missoula in smoke. Everything closed including fishing and rafting.
I lived up Sleeman Gulch past Lolo and the road was barricaded with a security guard,
only residents allowed in due to extreme fire danger.
I took my 2 labs to work every day because of that wildfire risk.

I hope MT and the west gets rain, smoke and wildfires can make a perfect summer
quickly turn into a dangerous and unhealthy summer.

In 2012, 3 friends and me went to Kodiak Island on a deep sea fishing trip.
We fished 3 days, gathered our frozen fish at the processor and drove out to the airport.
Fogged in. All flights cancelled.
Back to the motel.
The next morning, back out to the airport.
Fogged in. All flights cancelled!
We stayed on Kodiak 6 extra days!
Called the wife one afternoon in Oklahoma, "What's the temperature?"
"It's 108°, not a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind!" she said, exasperated.
Just down the street from the Best Western is an Ace Hdw.
The sign outside said it was 55° and drizzling rain in downtown Kodiak, Alaska!
She didn't think it was very funny! LOL!

Damn, sorry bud, I heard it’s tough. Hope you can make it up to your place.
Found a car for my time period. :rolleyes: "Manager's Special" of unknown variety, seats 4 meaning tiny. Pick it up on a Saturday afternoon and drop off the next Saturday night. Total price? $3601.53!!!!!! Aw, HELL no! I could spend less having an Uber car haul my ass around for a week!

Found a car for my time period. :rolleyes: "Manager's Special" of unknown variety, seats 4 meaning tiny. Pick it up on a Saturday afternoon and drop off the next Saturday night. Total price? $3601.53!!!!!! Aw, HELL no! I could spend less having an Uber car haul my ass around for a week!
Bastards

Yeah, I'm jealous! You wouldn't happen to have a car sitting around the Anchorage airport I could use, would you? No rentals, no summer trip to Alaska... :(
Dave, my ma and pa had this problem when they go visit my brother. They just bought a SUV that was cheap enough but good enough to drive for the 2 weeks they are their each year. I realize used prices suck right now and you might have to buy one from the lower 48 and drive up to find something to fit your needs.

Don't really have the time or money to buy one up there just for a week or two. And to buy one and sell it when I go home has too many variables to go wrong and screw me hard. To drive one up and leave it, I would need to store it somewhere and get rides to and from when I go up. Things better get better for next year!

We're going to Fairbanks in Aug and none of the car rentals had anything and my friend mentioned Turo. Never used it before, but he got us a rig. Basically the airbnb for cars.

We're going to Fairbanks in Aug and none of the car rentals had anything and my friend mentioned Turo. Never used it before, but he got us a rig. Basically the airbnb for cars.
I looked at that as well. They had 2 listed, both for $200 per day. Never went any farther to see if there were fees on top or not.

The main purpose of going was to do some maintenance on the cabin and property as well as try to catch some fish to bring home. Finally got an offer on the place and they accepted our counter. Now IF things go through I don't have a reason to do the work! So paying the high prices for a rental just to sit in a chair by the river with our friend doesn't seem to work out so well for the budget. Gonna miss that place... :(

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back