Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The Mississippi Poison Arrow Conundrum

It seems like a slippery slope, and as stated in the below, I wonder if it could lead the public (especially those opposed to any form of hunting) to view bowhunting equipment as ineffective on it's own to humanely take down big game animals without the aid of poison. Obviously, that is not the case. I for one am firmly against the use of poison pods on arrows for big game hunting in North America. Just my two cents. It is not necessary, and seems like a lazy way to improve your odds. I think there is a "keep hammering" or "no one cares, work harder" quote that would tie this all together, but I can't find my motivational Beast Mode quote book...

Read below....interesting take on the subject.

The following information relates to the use of Anectine®
(succinylcholine) better known as the "Pod"or "Drugged" Arrow.

.The Effects of Anectine® on Hoofed Animals

by Joe R. Bumgardner, M.D.
Summary

Deer (& all the hoofed animal family) are stated to be approximately 1000 times more sensitive than humans to Anectine®. Anectine® must be introduced into the blood stream to have any effect. The only scenario that Anectine® would possibly allow you to harvest a deer with a marginal hit is with a flesh muscular wound where the Anectine® powder is introduced into the blood stream via absorption by the muscular blood vessels. In addition to the National Bowhunting Educational Foundation, the Pope & Young Club, The National Field Archery Association, The Professional Bowhunters Society, and The American Archery Council are all opposed to the use of drugged arrows.
Information on Anectine® (succinylcholine)

As a surgeon I have access to the pure biological grade of Anectine® (succinylcholine) and in my formative years as a bowhunter I used Anectine® and had the opportunity to witness its effects on harvesting deer. I soon realized that a properly placed shot in the vital zone would achieve a quick clean harvest before Anectine had a chance to take effect (as manifested by generalized muscular twitching referred to as fasiculatiion). It is a potent muscle relaxant used primarily as a supplemental agent in anesthesiology during surgery.
This is the 'poison' used to load the pods that are secured to the arrow. Deer (and all the hoofed animal family) are stated to be approximately 1000 times more sensitive than humans to Anectine®. A human adult takes approximate 60 milligrams to produce complete muscular paralysis while a deer will require less than 1 milligram to accomplish the same paralytic state. Anectine® must be introduced into the blood stream to have any effect. It will usually not be of any benefit on a gut shot as it is diluted by the paunch and intestinal contents and rarely gets into the blood stream via the paunch.
The only scenario that Anectine® would possibly allow you to harvest a deer with a marginal hit is with a 'flesh' muscular wound where the Anectine® powder is introduced into the blood stream via absorption by the muscular blood vessels. After careful analysis of all available information and experience, the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) has taken the stand that it does not approve the use of drugged arrows or drug carrying mechanisms, such as the Pod. In addition to the NBEF, the Pope & Young Club, The National Field Archery Association, The Professional Bowhunters Society, and The American Archery Council are opposed to drugged arrows.
Another issue is that use or legalization of the pod on a widespread basis would lead the public to believe that our conventional bowhunting equipment is not effective enough to use without the aid of drugs. Nothing could be further form the truth, but the truth would not matter, if we send a totally different message. I personally no longer use Anectine as I don't want to give the anti-hunter any additional ammunition to assist in their efforts in banning bowhunting. I have too much passion for our sport.

I suspect the inference may have been Canadian First Nation's people (Indians) can use poison arrows. They legally can and do hunt any way they want, anywhere they want (as long as it's public land), any time of the day or year, and shoot as much game as they want. I routinely see them shooting waterfowl with lead shot on the farms where I hunt. I would be curious to know if any of them actually do use poison arrows. I have yet to see a FN hunter using archery. Kinda ironic.

The first thing we teach the young is : White man, good: Indian, Bad:

These same young people are taught to hunt with a bow, before they are taught to hunt with a rifle, as we feel bow hunting is a good way to teach "hunting" and "patience". But yes, we savages do still hunt with a bow/arrow, as well as a harpoon, and even a "club", but no poison arrows.

I have, in the past, shot pods. I hunted on a golf course and didn't want the deer to die in someone's pool or on a tee box. It shuts the deer down quicker and lessens impact on the public in an urban hunting situation. There is no adverse affects on human consumption. I've eaten the heart from ever deer that I shot with a pod. I don't shoot them now since I no longer hunt that area. If I were in that situation again though I'd probably go back to shooting them.
I recently got ask to cull some deer on a property in Darien, CT... 3 acres, even if the landowner clears it with all all six surrounding neighbors that's only 14 acres.

The unit allows 6 either-sex tags and goes for like 5 months, and the regs specifically say bow hunting is legal on private property of ANY acreage.

So clearly there is a deer issue, and the max shot distance is 25 yards so I'm not really worried about missing.

That said I'm not real stoked about having a deer die in Brian Williams lawn...

Which is a long preamble to say, yeah I can see some scenarios where this method of take is probably a great idea.

I'm not sure of a better way of "anchoring" a deer with a bow.

I guess I could have my buddy stand behind me with the tuna real?
no no no. forget the reel. just take the string and tie it to tree. You shoot, arrow zips through the deer and it runs. Hits the end of the string and bam! Arrow attempts to rip right back through the deer but catching it and "anchoring" the deer right there!

no no no. forget the reel. just take the string and tie it to tree. You shoot, arrow zips through the deer and it runs. Hits the end of the string and bam! Arrow attempts to rip right back through the deer but catching it and "anchoring" the deer right there!
Do they make like 200lb test?

The reason you can catch a 800lb fish on 30 or 40 is due to the drag, pole etc. An animal on land running full steam is going to snap that line no problem.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back