PEAX Equipment

The herd grows

Big Fin, any way you could pm me with the name or contact to possibly purchase one of the pedestals? Thanks in advance.

When I was a lad working for a taxidermist, those with good pronghorn and deer heads would leave them in the freezer until just before they were scored, but they still dry out a little in the freezer.

Those are beautiful mounts! I'm hoping to add one like that this fall.

And thanks for the visual support that a house looks great with multiple animals per room. Surely this will convince my wife, right?

Big Fin you said " Had I even the slightest clue as to how one takes care of a pronghorn during the drying period, both the NV and NM bucks would probably retained at least 1.0-1.5" of mass. Stupid me." Please elaborate on the proper care during the drying period?????

Mostly, if you can avoid the major pitfalls your horns should be OK.

Do not boil your horns.
Do not microwave your horns.
Do not let them sit outside or in a garage in hot temperatures.
Do not keep the horns on the horn cores with the meat under the horns.
Do not pop the horns off the horn cores and then let them sit and dry. The bases will shrink because they have no support.
Do not hold your friends horns in front of a heater. ;)

Those are all the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Any one of those could cost you several inches of mass depending on how much mass your buck had to begin with. The heavier they are the more they'll lose.

Mostly, if you can avoid the major pitfalls your horns should be OK.

Do not boil your horns.
Do not microwave your horns.
Do not let them sit outside or in a garage in hot temperatures.
Do not keep the horns on the horn cores with the meat under the horns.

Do not pop the horns off the horn cores and then let them sit and dry. The bases will shrink because they have no support.
Do not hold your friends horns in front of a heater. ;)

Those are all the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Any one of those could cost you several inches of mass depending on how much mass your buck had to begin with. The heavier they are the more they'll lose.

I violated all of the ones in bold. And yes, a super massive buck will shrink a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back