The Heaviest Cat you have Killed or seen Killed.

DaleT

I have heard about Big Cats in West Texas, that not uncommonly go over 200 pounds, I told the guy I thought he was full of it, but his response was that there is a very good steady food source of, feral hogs, javelina, whitetails, muledeer and lots of small game, not to mention domestic stock. I would like to hear opinions about this. Also, what is the heaviest cat killed on record?

I am also a former hound hunter, gave it up due to difficult of finding a place to hunt that is big enough to keep the dogs on it. If I ever move out West, I will have some big game dogs.

I have hunted lions and know many other lion hunters in the North west. I have heard of maybe a half dozen lions weighing over 200 pounds in the last 20 years (lions that I personally know the hunters and feel I can trust them). A good tom up here (ID, MT, and WA) will go 150-185, with anything bigger being exceptional!

I would really like to have a 200 pounder moutned someday, but I am not counting on it.

Horn Seeker is right as far as lions in this part of the counrty. Most toms killed are 140 to 170 pounds depending on how full their belly is at the time. We have taken three I believe were over the 200 mark, one of them we couldnt weigh because we skinned it on the spot, but it was 8 foot one unskinned and was definately the biggest one we ever got. Tom lions will weigh 130 to 140 when they are weaned at 15 to 18 months of agew and are bigger than their mother is!!!! Toms that are in good condition with a good food source will weigh 150 to 180 from age two to three, which is most of the lions that are harvested. Alot depends on the genetics of the area (and lions have a big area) too. We have got several between 180 and 195, but most are two to three year old toms weighing from 150 to 180. Thats about average I think! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back