PEAX Equipment

The ethics of proper bullet choice

Carl,

I think a lot of folks are missing the boat on zero retention.

What do you trust to stay zeroed and what kind of activities make you feel it should be checked again before taking shots on game beyond short range gimmes?
zero retention anxiety is a thing.

I actually trust an old bushnell on my 300 win the most. It's never been off.

Carl,

I think a lot of folks are missing the boat on zero retention.

What do you trust to stay zeroed and what kind of activities make you feel it should be checked again before taking shots on game beyond short range gimmes?

@Carl since we’re practically neighbors - I’ll be over to visit. But I think it might be a worthwhile thread for you to start on what equipment you’re using and why. What really works what doesn’t..Etc. not necessarily hunting focus, but shooting.

Someday when you’re bored..

I started answering Wind Gypsy's question but it got really long and it wasn't very close to done.

I'll work on a stand alone post next time I need to procrastinate.

Till then: Whatever the components are, I like to prove to myself if they are consistent or not. To do so I'll shoot a meaningful group (these are 10 rds each) at the same style target and save them to compare. I attached some old targets I had that shows what that might look like, they aren't recent but happened to be on my desk. There were multiple matches and hundreds of rounds shot between these targets, they aren't just one range trip after the next. If I have to adjust the zero I'll make a note on these targets, no adjustments were noted so I didn't change the zero in between.

1640896961640.png
1640896999481.png
1640897033916.png

While the above example shows a gun shooting well for my game, in no way do I think you need that level of precision in order to be successful. The below picture shows a group I shot right after I won a match with the rifle in question, 1 MOA is enough for most things practical. While I'd always like the best accuracy I can get, focusing on shooting the tiniest groups is a great way to distract yourself from things that matter more. Unless your shooting benchrest or f-class, which require focus on the fussy aspects of precision that annoy me.

1640897657407.png

Glad to know 2 more people I trust and value their experiences before a big switch up..

@Carl still in town? Would love to catch up and learn about your shooting. Pat and Jake told me about you appearance and total domination at that Glasgow shoot a few years ago..
I spent one morning at the range when Carl was there and just watching what he did before his shots and how he positioned himself taught me more than anyone else. I now try to mimic it on every shot I can. It has helped my kids and wife as well.
He also lectured us on how crazy we were to try and get 1" groups at 400 out of our hunting rifle set ups LOL. I recall him saying your shooting elk for cripes sake those guns are plenty accurate!

@Carl since we’re practically neighbors - I’ll be over to visit. But I think it might be a worthwhile thread for you to start on what equipment you’re using and why. What really works what doesn’t..Etc. not necessarily hunting focus, but shooting.

Someday when you’re bored..
I'd be really interested in this myself.

I spent one morning at the range when Carl was there and just watching what he did before his shots and how he positioned himself taught me more than anyone else. I now try to mimic it on every shot I can. It has helped my kids and wife as well.
He also lectured us on how crazy we were to try and get 1" groups at 400 out of our hunting rifle set ups LOL. I recall him saying your shooting elk for cripes sake those guns are plenty accurate!
That was a fun day, if I recall it wasn't long after you went to AK for white sheep.

I believe that hitting 1 moa targets at range on demand is about the reasonable limit of equipment today for the best shooters. Hitting 2 moa targets at range on demand is much more doable, but would still be WELL above average.

The range I've been shooting on the last few years in Three Forks is back up and running, if anyone in the area is interested there will be matches scheduled there each of the next three months.

That was a fun day, if I recall it wasn't long after you went to AK for white sheep.

I believe that hitting 1 moa targets at range on demand is about the reasonable limit of equipment today for the best shooters. Hitting 2 moa targets at range on demand is much more doable, but would still be WELL above average.

The range I've been shooting on the last few years in Three Forks is back up and running, if anyone in the area is interested there will be matches scheduled there each of the next three months.
I can hear the missed ricochets from my house.;)

Interesting. There's plenty of shooting being done in the general area, but it's pretty far from any houses. I'll pm you...

If it’s in three forks I’m in. Haha

Yeah I bet! With the wind, single digit temp days are pretty easy to pass on.

Reactions: Hem
Carl and PS got me on the 6.5 139gr. Scenar train as well. Nothing but awesome results so far on a variety of critters.

215 yard load development..

Attachments

• E9FD9860-DF52-4E9C-A55B-B5EAE71A605E.jpeg
    E9FD9860-DF52-4E9C-A55B-B5EAE71A605E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member