Caribou Gear

The Deer Plague

rhr1224

Has anyone read the article “THE DEER PLAGUE” it talks about a brain eating disease affecting deer, elk, and the like across America and it is spreading. My question is what is being done? Did you know about it? Do you trust your harvest when it can take months for the result of the CWD test and some never get the results if their harvest is contaminated? Crazy stuff

A lot is being done and congress just passed a bill with some fed money to do more research. It's not really "new" if you do some searching you will find a ton of info but like everything on the internet there's a lot of mis-information as well. I trust game and fish biologist information. We have CWD here in Arkansas and I live and hunt in the CWD zone. Other than a few minor regulation changes it hasn't had an affect on my hunting. I debone or quarter my deer in the woods where they fall and haul the meat out in my pack. It then goes into a labelled trash bag and the deep freeze while the head is picked up by Arkansas game and fish for free testing. I check online within 2 weeks the test results are given and I thaw it in a cooler and process it myself. I haven't had one test positive yet but I'm pretty sure the game and fish wants to pick those up personally and incinerate them.

CWD testing takes 2-3 weeks, mianly because of the number of tests being done.
Significant research is being conducted, you can search the forum for some of those threads.
I think it has been on most of our radars for some time now.
I hunt in CWD areas, take precautions with processing, and test what needs tested.

A lot is being done and congress just passed a bill with some fed money to do more research. It's not really "new" if you do some searching you will find a ton of info but like everything on the internet there's a lot of mis-information as well. I trust game and fish biologist information. We have CWD here in Arkansas and I live and hunt in the CWD zone. Other than a few minor regulation changes it hasn't had an affect on my hunting. I debone or quarter my deer in the woods where they fall and haul the meat out in my pack. It then goes into a labelled trash bag and the deep freeze while the head is picked up by Arkansas game and fish for free testing. I check online within 2 weeks the test results are given and I thaw it in a cooler and process it myself. I haven't had one test positive yet but I'm pretty sure the game and fish wants to pick those up personally and incinerate them.
Thanks for the info you know not ever hearing of something like CWD can cause some reserve and cause the desire to seek information not only from the internet but from people in other states and what their experiences have been.

CWD testing takes 2-3 weeks, mianly because of the number of tests being done.
Significant research is being conducted, you can search the forum for some of those threads.
I think it has been on most of our radars for some time now.
I hunt in CWD areas, take precautions with processing, and test what needs tested.
Thanks for the info

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back