The death of the 16 Ga....Why?

Randi, I don't know what your pocketbook will bear, but you can find some pretty nice vintage 16s for reasonable money these days.

They cost a little more than a 12 gauge (another sign of their being "dead" I suppose; they cost more).

I figured steel shot killed the 16 gauge. Still needed .410 and 20 gauge for children/youth. But steel meant you needed to step up to 3" or 3.5" for ducks (not really but that was the perception). Now that bismuth and other nontoxic loads are increasingly available, I'm optimistic the 16 gauge will make a comeback. My wife inherited a 16ga woodmaster that looks like it was never shot. Probably won't ever be fired tho.

We're not getting as many big ducks in the south as we used to, probably due to climate change. But we seem to be getting way more teal deep into the season. So I decided to go lightweight "sub-gauge" and bought a 6 pound 20 ga autoloader. With 3" shells you're approaching or exceeding velocities and pellet counts of comparable 16 gauge loads. Being so light it will swing at those little acrobatic teal more easily than my 12 ga. With online ammo probably could've bought a 28ga but didn't want to be stuck waiting for ammo from the mail in a pinch. Anyway I hope I like the new 20 ga enough to completely supplant my 12ga.

totally agree. 16 was my choice because of kick but ammo availability and choice is not there compared to 12, 20 or 410 and 410 is not a novelty it is what you want to start kids or people unfamiliar with different shotgun recoils and i have even shot a turkey with one! being "MANLY" has nothing to with shooting a big kicking gun like a 12ga. I have hit dove way out there with a 20ga. and because i am getting older and have a bad right shoulder that is what i shoot now and can get every kind of ammo i want and also it was my first shotgun my brother gave me to go dove hunting with him and his buddies when i was 15. god rest his soul.

Here's one: why do they call it magnum in shotgun when there is no more power in a load actually sometimes less??? just means more shot.

Here's one: why do they call it magnum in shotgun when there is no more power in a load actually sometimes less??? just means more shot.
Near as I can determine, the adjective "magnum" (derived from Latin "magnus" meaning great) was first used by Holland & Holland when they introduced the .375 and .300 in 1912. Magnum at that time also described a champagne bottle. Perhaps the similar tapered shape of the .375 cartridge and wine bottle as well as the supposed top class characteristics of both had something to do with the choice of name. At first the term was borrowed by other rifle cartridges that featured H&H belted case. From there it was borrowed by shotgun manufacturers to denote longer 3" shells. It is interesting that the 2.75" twelve gauge apparently evolved from 2.5" but nothing new was added to the name. I don't believe there were any 2.75 magnum shells until after the 3" was developed. Anyway, H&H set the standard for "great" killing power with the .375 and the moniker has been borrowed by everyone since. Something of a carryover from the earlier rimmed big game double rifle bruiser cartridges all denoted as "express". A different descriptor was needed to separate the new rimless magazine rifle cartridges designed to do the same work.

Last edited:
Sorry, @Randi I was out most of the weekend.

The CZ seems to be a serviceable weapon for hunting purposes. I had a Ringneck in 20 gauge for a while and it was a good gun for the money. I can't remember how the trigger was on it, but I'd routinely shoot about a 20 or 21 with it when I'd shoot a round of trap. It was a good field gun, easy to carry & swung well.

If you're looking for a budget 16, it's worth looking at if it fits, but I'd not expect it to be an heirloom gun. @Europe is steering you right to CSMC, but don't overlook Griffin & Howe as well, you know, if Uncle Joe comes through. ;)

Randi, like Ben I have also been busy, but I would at least look at the A 5 Browning. My husband likes it, although he had the trigger worked on after he bought it, he does like it and it is not an expensive shotgun. However if you have the funds the shotguns Ben and April have suggested would be nice shotguns to own and use.

The 16 gauge went away for the same reason people dont use 30-30's to hunt deer like they did 50 years ago....
Instead they use a 300Win Mag with a CDS Leupold VX6 scope.....

Same concept.

Plus the ammo is super expensive.

Near as I can determine, the adjective "magnum" (derived from Latin "magnus" meaning great) was first used by Holland & Holland when they introduced the .375 and .300 in 1912. Magnum at that time also described a champagne bottle. Perhaps the similar tapered shape of the .375 cartridge and wine bottle as well as the supposed top class characteristics of both had something to do with the choice of name. At first the term was borrowed by other rifle cartridges that featured H&H belted case. From there it was borrowed by shotgun manufacturers to denote longer 3" shells. It is interesting that the 2.75" twelve gauge apparently evolved from 2.5" but nothing new was added to the name. I don't believe there were any 2.75 magnum shells until after the 3" was developed. Anyway, H&H set the standard for "great" killing power with the .375 and the moniker has been borrowed by everyone since. Something of a carryover from the earlier rimmed big game double rifle bruiser cartridges all denoted as "express". A different descriptor was needed to separate the new rimless magazine rifle cartridges designed to do the same work.

Actually, the 375 and 275 were 1912 models, we had to wait another 13 years for the 300.

Roy Weatherby liked the 375 H & H and I for one am glad he did. Weatherby has been a wonderful American Rifle story.

however ( Brent and Ben ) lets not forget the 50-110 and 50-100 in 1887 Were they the first magnum without the handle ;)
If you're looking for a budget 16, it's worth looking at if it fits, but I'd not expect it to be an heirloom gun. @Europe is steering you right to CSMC, but don't overlook Griffin & Howe as well, you know, if Uncle Joe comes through. ;)
I agree with Ben on both points.. The CZ is worth looking at and a visit to Griffin and Howe would work. G & H will make a you a custom stock to fit you, on whatever shotgun you bring in or even for one you buy in their shop. It would still be worth your time to move up the coast a few miles and visit Connecticut Shotgun, as they will make whatever you want from ground zero. If you have never visited the East coast take a train or rent a car. A lot to see between N.J. and Conn ( and surrounding areas/states )

There are female shotguns out there ( Berreta ,Syren, Franchi, ) but all in 12 and/or 20 Fausti makes shotguns for females in 12. 20, 28 and 410, but no 16 gauge

The Browning will work for you, it is a nice shotgun, made for a female, 16 gauge, but as mentioned needs some work on it after you receive it, but not a big deal, mainly a little trigger work.

You will have fewer ammo options available to you, but if a 16 gauge is what you want, get one. Like husbands, one woman nightmare is another womans dream. Dont "settle" just because its different and harder to find what you want.

And last but not least, dont talk to me about paying off your school loan ( and I would be, since I still pay taxes ), get a job ! you borrowed it, you pay it.:)

---------------

Beginerhunter: Best picture I have seen on this forum ;)

Last edited:
Thank you Ben, Panda , Brent, April, your guidance is appreciated

April, reference school loan. You sound just like my grandparents :love: and for the record, I am:)

I've got an old Browning A5 from the 60's in 16ga that my grandfather left me and a Winchester Model 12 in 16ga. My A5 is a fantastic shooting shotgun and is a pleasure to look at as well. It's my go-to for dove hunting and also very fun for skeet shooting. You guys go ahead and keep knocking 16's. More of the limited ammo supply for me and @BrentD!

lol, loved that show so much when it came out i grew a stache, cut my long hair and started wearing hawaiian shirts!

Back