That ain’t elk !!!!

Little Big Man MT Chris

out elk scouting today I am hiking into a clear-cut that I’ve been to earlier this spring and had a lot of elk activity in it and there was an old spur Road in the back where the elk were using it as a travel Corridor. there were some rubs in there from last season and so I wanted to see what the recent elk activity had been and get about 10 to 15 yards in on the trail and I bust an elk you can hear it take off down the trail making all kinda noise .

then you hear a loud snort and I’m all excited because I found some elk I hear another loud snort and everything goes quiet I check the wind is blowing in my face so wait a few minutes sounds like the elk are close then I start to ninja down the trail slowly working my way and glassing ahead looking for those golden elk bodies I know there’s a little bit of a corner and then there’s a little tiny grass meadow around the corner on the trail so I start to get there catch a flash of black and think and I got the main of Roosevelt elk .

pull up my binoculars and realize that I’m staring at two Lost or abandoned horses and one is freaked out and continues to snort and is prancing around in circles and the other one when I talk to it wants to come to me , , but it doesn’t because the other one is so freaked out it continues to get apprehensive , eventually I backed out notified the state police and pin drop their location from my ONX , something I didn’t expect to see deep in the elk woods today scouting but nonetheless crazy encounter, Shot a pretty good video but the upload to YouTube was like crap and I can’t figure out how to copy and link and paste it so all you get is a picture
D08A4E04-E5D8-49C7-9A9A-146A76944942.jpeg

I did check 2 trail cams and had bulls on both , this was the best pic of the group and the only elk I saw all day, there’s another bull in this pic , for a total of 3 , can you find it , I never saw him till I got home , and zoomed in on the pic244FAC17-469C-44DB-953F-95EE7815C9FC.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my hunting friends may or may not have joked , target practice. But I did feel bad for those horses to be abandoned like that that’s my guess if someone cant afford them anymore and just drove them up there in the middle of the and dumped them off at the end of the road system

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back