Thank you!

Because of the tips, tricks, and information you guys have shared on this forum I just got a major win. My buddy and I are going on our first western hunt this fall. We chose Wyoming antelope because it was an easy to draw tag with high success rates. But, access in these easy to draw units can be tricky. That’s where you all came in.

I was able to follow your links and advice. And it really helped open up the unit and make what was once a daunting task seem like something we can do. You guys are the best. Thanks!

Everyone should have this adventure and not just once. The 2nd hunt's planning will be even easier to navigate.
Amen. I was in the OP’s shoes last year - first antelope and first western hunt. This year I’ll be out again after antelope #s 2, 3, and 4. I almost don’t know what to with myself right now cause I have all this extra time. I spent so much time last year figuring out which unit, timing, access, what gear, how to, etc. that I feel like it’s a whole different experience.

It certainly is a hunt that most anybody can do and have fun at if they are willing to do some research and put in a little effort.

Congrats on the tags! Excited to see some pics of the hunt.

What unit did you draw?
17. We will show up with our bows for the last few days of archery. And then have our rifles if we can’t get it done in the first two days.

Because of the tips on here I was able to find public foot access to the Fortification Creek Wilderness Study Area.

I was right there with you last year: my first DIY Western big game hunt for pronghorn in WY. I brought home a cooler full of meat (just finished the last neck roast a couple weeks ago), an awesome skull and horns, and a desire to get back as soon as I could. The info from Big Fin and others at Hunt Talk was invaluable.

For 2019, I drew both a buck and doe tag and am taking my young son with me to enjoy the road trip, camping out, and opportunity to participate in public land hunting. You'll be hooked!

1097792018 WY Antelope 3.jpg

LowCountryBuckeye… no shot you're down in the Low Country of SC are you? I was born and raised there and moved to Oklahoma last year. I am just wanting to get into pronghorn hunting myself so I would love to know how your trip goes and how you guys tackled it as first timers. Hopefully I'm in your shoes next year!

I share buckeye's sentiment (but probably not about football lol), tons of information and pointers from guys on here, took a lot of the anxiety out of the process of choosing and applying for tags. Super excited for my first antelope hunt!

Back