Tex Creek Zone Idaho

But why are the rules different for hunters than for campers and recreational atv riders? This is what leads to the ambiguity of enforcement. It doesn't make any sense.

I too had a lot of questions about this rule as it really is super confusing the way it is worded. They also have a lot of text in the rule to try to clarify it and it only seems to muddy it up even more. So I called the Idaho Falls office and talked with an officer there and here is what I found out by asking some very specific questions and scenarios. I called the Salmon office and again talked to an officer there and got the same confirmation of what I learned from the officer at Idaho Falls. That was good enough for me.

Basically you cannot use a motor vehicle on an ATV or motorcycle only trail for hunting specific purposes. This literally means traveling the road actively looking for game or traveling to an area with the intent of hunting that area. You can however use a motor vehicle on these trails to scout or to travel to an area with the intent of establishing a campsite. I asked him specifically what "establishing a campsite" meant and the response from him was actually a question: "if you travel the road, do you intend on returning after the hunting day? If the answer is no, you are camping". I also asked about retrieving game and he again asked me a question: "if you return to your truck, drop your gear off and head back on the trail to get your downed animal, do you think you are actively hunting at that point?" I said no and his reply was "you got your answer".

I hunt quite a lot in the Diamond Creek zone just to the south of that and I know F&G is very strict on that rule. They do allow retrieval of game using the ATV’s though.

The F&G officers that I have ran into down there have been very professional and helpful when I talked to them. I don’t see any people not following that rule, but it is a limited tag area with 1/10th the amount of people.

I too had a lot of questions about this rule as it really is super confusing the way it is worded. They also have a lot of text in the rule to try to clarify it and it only seems to muddy it up even more. So I called the Idaho Falls office and talked with an officer there and here is what I found out by asking some very specific questions and scenarios. I called the Salmon office and again talked to an officer there and got the same confirmation of what I learned from the officer at Idaho Falls. That was good enough for me.

Basically you cannot use a motor vehicle on an ATV or motorcycle only trail for hunting specific purposes. This literally means traveling the road actively looking for game or traveling to an area with the intent of hunting that area. You can however use a motor vehicle on these trails to scout or to travel to an area with the intent of establishing a campsite. I asked him specifically what "establishing a campsite" meant and the response from him was actually a question: "if you travel the road, do you intend on returning after the hunting day? If the answer is no, you are camping". I also asked about retrieving game and he again asked me a question: "if you return to your truck, drop your gear off and head back on the trail to get your downed animal, do you think you are actively hunting at that point?" I said no and his reply was "you got your answer".

Five or 6 years ago, my wife was on a trail during archery season taking picture. No bow or hunting equipment other than her backpack, and camera equipment on the 4 wheeler. She did have her pistol in her camera bag and carries a concealed weapons permit. She was stopped by Fish and Game for being on the trail during hunting season with a hunting license. The Fish and Game officers (two of them) were going to cite her, but she argued her way out with a warning (women can get out of anything). She was not hunting. Remember, it's unlawful not to produce a hunting license when asked by an officer. They probably would have lost in court anyway. But again, it depends largely on the officer. Like I said in a previous post, my son and I got different information from fish and game than you did. And the law did have some growing pains.

That is the same answer I have received everytime I have talked to a fish and game officer or called the field office.

Thank you all for the responses, and even for going the extra mile of calling fish and game. I will feel much more comfortable now when picking my hunting spots. Good luck to everyone this season.

WarZone! There is a lot of Hunt traffic on tex creek. Shot a bull there last year. While boning it out had probably 40 or more bullets shoot over us. A total of 6 hunters walked by us and one even tried to claim my bull that I shot from 90 yards and dumped him. I had to convince him that his died over the hill and that someone was over the hill claiming it. Needless to say I didn’t buy a tag this year. There is elk in there though. People don’t follow the restrictions so be prepared for that.

I live in Unit 69 and have hunted the zone a few times. Yes there are quite a lot of hunters in the area and a lot of elk. The open roads give plenty of access to hunt and disperse the hunters well. Expect to see outfitters and camps along the roads with horses and atvs, although once you get away from roads, you might not see other hunters. I wouldn't bother with the Tex Creek Management area that early and concentrate on the higher elevations. I like the area south of Palisades Lake and towards the Wyoming border. Usually glass up a herd of elk early and try to get to them when they're out feeding. It can be steep and what seems like an hour hike, is usually double that. Hunt uphill in case you shoot one to have a downhill haul. Off Palisades, very few trails for atvs to be on (illegal anyway) just because of the rugged nature. Just my .02.
Isn't Palisades Lake in unit 67?

Theres a reason we in Idaho call it the war zone or 7 day war. TON of people. But, it can be done. My suggestion, get back as far as you can before the ones on horseback.

Its hard to get back when there is a road or motorized trail every 2-4 miles lol
Agreed. Only a few areas that are somewhat remote. If youre hunting it, I know a ranch that usually gives permission for people to hunt, just no atvs. All walk in. You can pm me.

I would like to further this question, as I have been researching Idaho a little bit.

I found a general elk and deer archery area that I might be interested in.

The unit i am looking at is NOT a motor vehicle restriction area, and the area seems to have a well developed road system from various activities.

If I understand things correctly, in this area, I would be able to camp where it is legal to do so, and use my ATV for hunting, including stopping and glassing distant spots as well as taking an opportunity to harvest an animal that may present itself while I am on my ATV.

Is this a correct assumption?

I ask because I am actually looking for an area with good road access and where I can use my ATV as a hunting tool.

I understand the positives and negatives with all of it, but its the way I like to hunt.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back