Tent vs Trailer

kenton

I'm assuming most folks here use tents when camping but I have an idea stuck in my head. I've been thinking of getting a cargo trailer and turning it into a camper for hunting trips. Here is my thinking: I live twenty some hours from the Rockies so if I leave home right after work and plan to drive through the night, chances are I will be arriving to my campsite after dark. I have nothing against wall tents but I cant imagine they are a joy to put up in the dark after a long drive. I also plan to hunt public land whitetails in Kentucky and would also be arriving after dark. The other thought I had is to wire in a generator so I could run a chest freezer for any meat I get (wishful thinking, I know).

My question is, has anyone here tried this and any tips would be awesome, or is this crazy because I know nothing really compares to the experience of tent camping on a hunt?

I also may be able to sell this idea to my fiancé (7 weeks away) easier than a tent because she isn't much on roughing it.

I've got a great wall tent and camper, but most of the time I use a Frabil 6 man ice shack. Goes up super quick, very stable. Can fit two cots with lots of room for coolers and gear. Put down carpet, hang a lantern, big buddy heater and your set. Camp is up and down in 10.

My neighbor has exactly what you are talking about and it is pretty nice. The other good thing is you can still haul an ATV in the trailer. He has made cots that fold against the walls when not in use. and uses a Mr buddy heater for heat.
I have always liked tents myself. On far away trips a trailer is just one more thing to break down.

I do the chest freezer and portable gen set up on all my out of state hunts,,,chest freezer can be used for gear storage till its needed for game meat.only takes a few hrs of running a gen a day to keep meat cold while traveling.

Do a YouTube search for cargo trailer conversion, tons of ideas. Also do a google images search for the same. I am planning to purchase a cargo trailer this year & convert it to a camper/toy hauler as a winter project. Options/ideas are just about endless.... My purpose is just for weekend trips as you stated some significant others don't like to "rough it" in a tent. When I go out west I use a tent for base camp.

Last few years for our SW MT archery hunt be packed in for 2-3 days at a time, when we came out we crashed in a cargo trailer on our cots. Wasn't real nice compared to setting up a nice camp but we were able to stay mobile and find elk. Was very simple and quick set up.

In the back of my truck we kept a chest freezer and generator. Added hasps & locks to the freezer door and chained in the freezer to the back of the truck for theft. Tested out the freezer last summer with the generator and it was more than cold enough in 30 minutes. Our thought was to keep the meat cool, not freeze it. Before that it worked great for cases of water, pack boards & whatever else. Good luck.

I have a tent and 35 foot camper. My camper is not practical for deep-in driving/hunting. I have been kicking around the idea of just what you are saying as well. Seems like a good happy medium between the two. I want a cargo trailer for ATV's and motorcycle anyhow and like the fold down beds idea. If you end up doing it, let us know how it goes.

Please be careful and make sure it is well vented if you decide to go this route. Don't want to read/hear that you *gassed* yourself. But, my thinking is a couple of fold down bunks and good to go for coming in late somewhere.

Best of both worlds! :D

IMG-20120524-00245-XL.jpg

Tent. I love it when the snow gets deep and the trailer queen's get out of dodge.

That is a good point. I guess I would be sacrificing the difference between having to get a trailer out and having to get a truck out. Definitely something else to consider, thanks.

Friend of mine did what you are thinking. Has a wood stove, and gas for cooking, windows, freezer, generator, hot water tank on wood stove, side door, double walls with insulation between. You can customize in any way you like. Good winter project.

I have a tent and 35 foot camper. My camper is not practical for deep-in driving/hunting. I have been kicking around the idea of just what you are saying as well. Seems like a good happy medium between the two. I want a cargo trailer for ATV's and motorcycle anyhow and like the fold down beds idea. If you end up doing it, let us know how it goes.

Guys with big campers are overcompensating for having small penises

You may want to look at Jumping Jack Trailers...It sounds just about what you are talking about. They were doing Demos at the local Sportsman's Show and you put the tent up in about 5 minutes after unloading everything from the top. It looked like a good compromise between a tent and trailer for hauling extra equipment.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/

Back