Tent recommendation

David658

Last weekend, I went on an Ibex hunt in the Floridas in New Mexico. I, and my tent, can handle cold weather (a good sleeping bag does that for you), but the tent did not like the wind. Pretty much a summer tent, it's one of those up-in-a-minute tents that is great for camping in non-windy conditions.

I need something that I can set up rather easily, and which can handle the wind. The ideal tent would
  • be affordable
  • be relatively easy to set up
  • would accomodate two folks sleeping on cots
  • and which would not try and blow away in the wind
I'm not trying to backpack this tent in, so weight isn't an issue. If we were to backpack in, I'd devote time on each end to do the hauling to a base camp, so I am NOT trying to have something portable - in that case I'd likely stick to a fly and not be trying to play in horrid weather.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations! And....I am up in years, so don't need some high-dollar-lasts-forever tent, because I won't. Looking forward to your help with my shopping!

David
NM

I have the 6 person Kodiak tent and it fits 2 cots very comfortably. I can actually fit 3 and still have room. It's relatively easy to set up and I've done it alone several times. Also, not very expensive. Only had it in one bad storm and it performed very well.

1646617973823.png

I’ve spent a lot of nights in my buddy’s Big Agnus Big House 6. It’s handled most conditions well. We did have one experience in the Selway where the wind flattened our camp (we didn’t have it fully guyed out either) and one experience in the Joe where snow flattened the vestibule. That said, it’s done well for what it is.

That said, an Arctic Oven is the no weight penalty just spend the money tent I’d choose.

2nd the Kodiak flex bow. They do very well in the wind. Great tents and they pitch fast. Mine has been in a lot of awful eastern Montana wind over the 7 or 8 years I've had it.

I'm very happy with my Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6 person tent. It fits two cots when my wife goes but if I were primarily going with another hunter, the 8 person would be preferable.

Check out Snowtrekker. They have been around for years, make incredible canvas tents that are lightweight, easy and fast to set up, do exceptionally well in wind and snow (i.e., basically alpine and Artic-worthy), and will last a lifetime. They make several different models and sizes. They come with an Easton aluminum frame which makes setup a snap. They are catching on with outfitters and western hunters as more folks learn about them. They are not cheap but you are getting top-of-the-line quality and durability.

I like those Kodiak tents. The Alaskan Guides get rave reviews too.

I have a 12x12 Alaknak. It's perfect for two guys in cots, and with the stove it's a great 4 season tent.

Also love the Kodiak flexbow tents. I have the 10x14 version pictured below going on the 4th season now. I've been through everything with it...wind, snow, ice, torrential rain, and all the way it's held up like a champ. Can't say enough good things about these tents.
Tent2.jpg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back