Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Tell me about the black hills

"Perfect" spots are tough to find. We have found lots of places to park our 14' enclosed trailer, but we run propane and electric heaters.
I would never consider a wood stove, just my personal feelings.

...and to each his own. I personally can’t stand propane when it’s cold with wet/cold gear and I’m always worried about CO poisoning. I also don’t like the idea of hauling a 14’ trailer 18+ hours on a solo trip.

Now that I think of it, I never saw a single camp of any sort when I was in the Hills.

Great write up and congrats to your brother on a nice buck. Sounds like you guys had a great time! I’d guess that muley in the 130s also.
Can’t wait to hunt the black hills someday.

...and to each his own. I personally can’t stand propane when it’s cold with wet/cold gear and I’m always worried about CO poisoning. I also don’t like the idea of hauling a 14’ trailer 18+ hours on a solo trip.

Now that I think of it, I never saw a single camp of any sort when I was in the Hills.

I hunted the hills last fall as well. I saw the same thing. Not one hunting camping. In fact, if you hunted the area of the map...we looked for the same camping spots. lol I ended up in a hotel, which was fine. They're pretty cheap that time of year.

I was going to crash in the Black Hills one night on a road trip through on the way to NW MT. The part we drove through had signs saying camp in designated areas only, no roadside camping. Well, the designated camp areas were still locked up, no access.

We were in the northern part, vicinity of Mt Rushmore.

Deer are everywhere. Creep through the timber and Spot and stalk. Research maps and find meadows or where forest butts up to private ag fields. Catch them going to or coming off from fields. If hunting open country, find the creek beds or wooded draws and wait for the deer to emerge.

Wyoming side Blackhills bucks.

Attachments

• 1101161057.jpg
    1101161057.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG955474.jpg
    IMG955474.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20181105_155929.jpg
    20181105_155929.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 50
T
I was going to crash in the Black Hills one night on a road trip through on the way to NW MT. The part we drove through had signs saying camp in designated areas only, no roadside camping. Well, the designated camp areas were still locked up, no access.

We were in the northern part, vicinity of Mt Rushmore.
this comes into effect in high fire risk years

I didn’t look through this whole thread. But growing up in Rapid City SD the Black Hills are truely an underrated deer hunting destination. That’s most likely due to the deer not being known as monsters ( all though ever since the stopped doing OTC hunting the quality is getting better and some big deer are coming out) the Black Hills are a beautiful place deer can little be anywhere. Weather is usually not a factor. I’ve hunted Thanksgiving cay in hooded sweatshirts some years. It’s a great opportunity hunt and for someone from out east wanting to do a western hunt it would be a very nice option for your first experience. The season is The Whole month of November so easy to work into a schedule.

Back