PEAX Equipment

Telescoping rod recommendations?

TheNorthStar

Hey, fellas, can anyone recommend a decent telescoping spinner rod, maybe a combo, for backpacking?

I've been surfing amazon for a few days now and I always have a hard time trusting product descriptions in broken English and all of those 5 star reviews. I've found a few that have been copy/pasted on multiple poles that are clearly fake accounts. It doesn't have to be an heirloom, just enough to survive a week long trip with a handful of uses. If it crumbles into dust on the way out of the mountains, so be it, but hopefully it'll survive intact for use next year's trip as well.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Rather than telescoping, maybe look for a 4-piece? St Croix makes some good ones along with several other companies. I'm sure you could easily find one with reel for <$100. I've had one for 20+ years that hasn't "crumbled" into dust yet...
Cabelas or Bass Pro should both carry them if you don't want to buy online.

I would also suggest a 4 piece instead of telescopic. Nice choices in various price ranges with or without reels.

I've got the kids a telescoping pole from shakespear and its ok. I concur with the others about a multiple piece rod being better. I've got a diawa mini spin system and they make a caster as well for less than $50. It has a cheap liytle case that is good enough to hold some sinkers and a few spinners as well as the rod and reel. It caught a pile of brookies last year in NH. There's better ones but its cheap, packable, and descent to uifse.

Thanks, guys. I think you're all probably right. There's less that could go wrong with a 4 piece than a telescopic, I'm sure.

Speaking of St. Croix, they sent over a bunch of blank kits to the high school I went to and we got to wrap them for credit, lol. That was 20 years ago now and I haven't had to even glance at another rod since. Hell, my grandkids might be hauling walleye out of Minnesota lakes with it someday.

Rather than telescoping, maybe look for a 4-piece? St Croix makes some good ones along with several other companies. I'm sure you could easily find one with reel for <$100. I've had one for 20+ years that hasn't "crumbled" into dust yet...
Cabelas or Bass Pro should both carry them if you don't want to buy online.

Thanks again for the help, guys. I ended up with a 3 piece ugly stick and an ultralight okuma reel for it. It came today and I just put it away after spending a half hour trying to shake it loose, casting baits in the yard. Sturdy enough and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back