Teddy Roosevelt

heelerdog

I have read a couple of books written by Teddy Roosevelt. So I knew he let his kids have pet badgers, hunted coyotes and wolves armed with a leather glove, just an all around tough bastard. Tonight I watched the "TR An American Lion" documentary. Tonight I learned TR got shot in the chest, right lung to be specific. Does TR go to the doctor? No, he delivers a one hour speech. Now thats one tough SOB holy hell. He'd probably kick the shit out of all of us for being soft candy asses.

Yeah... but is he as tough as this guy??? hump

chuck.jpg

Somebody would have to bust out the Chuck Norris stuff.

"Chuck Norris is so strong he doesn't do push ups, he pushes the world down."

Funnyer than hell, Marv!!
While the flowery 19th Century prose of Teddy's books can be distracting, he always managed to get his main point across. T.R. admitted that as a teenager he had a weak constitution and needed to toughen up. After awhile the cowboys learned not to call him 'four eyes' if they knew what was good for them. He was as strong as a bull. When his first wife died it really floored him, but he bounced back after running his ranch for a while. I understand that later in life he had to battle depression.
He's always been one of my favorite conservationists, and sort of an intellectual mentor to me. It's very enlightening to read about him and others at the time formulating ideas for protecting and conserving wildlife at a time when things were looking pretty bleak for the animals. He's one of the few presidents who followed through with his ideals and not sell out.

It was interesting to me recently to read in one of his biographies and in Pinchot's short book on conservation about what a nationalist he was in strengthening national, not state rights. He did that for the National Forests where he worked hard to stop states rights from using up federal forests. I wonder what he would have done, if he could have worked on federal verses state game tags for the federal land.

Marv TR would put on a leather glove and grab yotes and wolves by the lower jaw. So I think, and I'll probably get my ass kicked by Chuck but I'm OK with that, TR trumps Chuck Norris on this one.

Aww crap I wasted my 200th post on this DAMMIT

Back