Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

taxidermy opinions...

bigdonniebrasco

I have spent my life hunting for meat and memories and I have never had anything mounted. I will be hunting WY for pronghorn this October (15 hours from home) and had a question about taxidermy.

If I get a nice buck, and I cape it myself, would it be better to find a taxidermist near where I hunt, or would it make any difference if the cape were to spend a few days (or more) on ice?

Thanks
Don

Ide take it to a local taxi. Antelope are funky, their hair falls out extremely easily and probably spoils faster than a deer cape.

I'd second that comment by HalfAce and do a partial caping so you can take the head/cape in one piece to let a taxidermist do the rest of the job since this is your first antelope Don!

I wouldn't take it to a local taxidermist, they wont be able to do anything more than you can. Unless you plan on hanging around a week, they wont be able to turn and salt it for you.

Sounds like you aren't scared of a knife, so just cape it, and put in on ice. Make sure to keep it COOL and as DRY as possible. Don't let the cape soak in blood or water, that's what will make your cape slip.

If possible freeze the cape once its off the head...if not, keep it as cool as possible.

Also, if things go south, let me know, I usually have a couple three good pronghorn capes around. Have a great one in the freezer right now.

Get it froze asap one way or another, be it a taxidermist or a processor. Leaving the head on without skinning it is no big deal. The Taxi will thaw and cape it.

Sounds like you aren't scared of a knife, so just cape it, and put in on ice. Make sure to keep it COOL and as DRY as possible. .

You're right, I've been doing my own knife work and I've even caped lots of critters for people.
I will have a dedicated cooler with several frozen water jugs and NO water to come in contact with.

Also thought maybe there was something to be said for a local taxi doing a goat mount vs someone in KS that may be inexperienced at pronhorn.

Thanks

As long as there is no direct contact, what about dry ice?

I think it would be fine, never tried it myself but, as long as it keeps the cape cool...should work.

As to the local taxidermists and quality....that can be true.

I have also seen some locals produce some real crap pronghorn mounts. Seeing that your from Kansas, I would have to guess there are some taxidermists there that should be able to do a good pronghorn mount.

If not, Steve Marrou in Cheyenne does a damn good pronghorn, IMO.

He has done all 3 of my wife's B&C bucks.

06241620321.jpg

06241620311.jpg

062416202821.jpg

Dry ice is the way to go. Just put a paper bag between it and your cape. You might have to replace that dry ice a time or two if you are taking a few days to get it to the taxidermist. I discovered the dry ice trick about 7 or 8 years ago and wish I would have used it my whole life. While it is a little expensive it's cheaper than buying a new cape.
As for a taxidermist do a net search along your route that you plan on using and ask to see examples of their work. If you will be anywhere near Cheyenne I would use BuzzH's recommendation. Those are some very nice antelope mounts. I have one outstanding mount in my house and those BuzzH posted are right there with it for quality. You will have a harder time finding quality work like that than you will finding sub-par to flat out crappy antelope work.

I'd have to agree that it is much wiser to shop around for a quality taxidermist. You generally get what you pay for with taxidermy work. I often pay a little more for mounts that I'm proud to show to my hunting buddies! If it were me I'd get the cape frozen ASAP and wouldn't fiddle around with ice or dry ice. If you happen to hunt an area where there is wild game processing I'm sure they would be willing to freeze your cape. If you have a reputable taxidermist you trust in your area he will have no problem mounting an antelope. You also won't be stuck with a spendy postage delivery bill if you find someone in your vicinity The taxidermist I use customizes each form. The best taxidermists are willing to do this to bring a little more life to a form and have the correct turn, etc for the location you plan on displaying your mount. I always take a look at the form before my taxidermist finishes it to make sure everything is exactly how I want it. This would be pretty much impossible if you hire a taxidermist 1k from your home. Antelope make incredible mounts so you have a lot to look forward to!

Antelope are indeed problematic, as far as durability. I hunted a mz hunt of McGregor Range in New Mexico, when I lived there. The taxidermist-who I knew-was right there at the check station. She caped my antelope and put it on ice. I got the head back some time later and the hair fell out. She had to re-do it, and I actually got a better cape! I have it to this day. They are very tough to keep right. I would say find someone to freeze it for you and make sure you keep it buried in ice after that. If it is that valuable to you as a trophy, then it is worth the extra effort to keep it from spoiling.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back