Taxidermist Nightmare - need serious advice

Shot a bear in fall of 2019 and dropped it off to a local taxidermist that was well recommended at the time. Many people on this site know who he is, but I’m not going to disclose that information publicly.

For the first two years he said he was way behind, but the hide was fine. For the last eight months or so, that tune has changed. The situation now is bizarre. He regularly responds to my calls and texts, but his communication is erratic and often non-sensical. Unfortunately, I have some reason to believe from his texts that he is in some kind of an in-patient medical situation.

He still has my bear hide, and yes I know where he lives. I’ve tried going there and when I have, no one is there. I have sympathy for whatever it is he has been going through. I just want my bear hide back.

Question for everyone. Other than than continuing to talk with him and go to his shop, what else can I do? Can the sheriff department help me? A lawyer?

Thanks all.
Can you elaborate on well recommended? I have a hard time understanding how a guy could go from producing recommendable work to trashing hides under the porch.

Such a shame. Did you at least get your skull?

Not nearly as bad as you but my dad took our two bears to a taxidermist in Ohio, the following spring I shot a bearded hen and my dad also took it to him to get a full body wall mount. Took over 3 years to get the bears back (full body mounts). Work was decent but he lost both skulls and never got the turkey back.

Justin Sabol. Never met him, but have heard about plenty funny taxidermy masterpieces..

Why’s everybody so hesitant to list his name?
Yep, believe you had even recommended we go to Andres prior to my dad's goat hunt. My grandparents lived up Bridger Canyon and therefore knew of the Sabol family forever from living up there... wrong choice, lesson learned! Hate to ever speculate but if I had to wager a guess I'd say Justin has taken advantage of the family ranch, etc for his taxi hobby and has run it down hill in a hurry with all the troubles and stories surfacing.

Justin Sabol. Never met him, but have heard about plenty funny taxidermy masterpieces..

Why’s everybody so hesitant to list his name?
I am posting his name in a post reply now. Generally, I have felt that putting people's names on the internet should be avoided for legal and safety reasons, both for the person being named, and the person naming him. I've been through it enough with Justin - including with attorneys and LE - that I don't mind doing it now.

Last edited:
It's Justin Sabol in Bridger Canyon, as several have posted now. There is a lot of drama, lying, and even some legitimately serious personal issues going on with that whole family that I was made aware of over the last four years. Some of that led to my hesitation to name him. I'm not going to elaborate on those specifics.

Someone asked what entails a 'good recommendation'. In this case, he was actually recommended directly by two guys I knew/know in Bozeman (I live in Missoula now), both who are trusted and accomplished hunters. They both work for MeatEater. A year or so later, the same MeatEater guys publicly apologized on their podcast for ever recommending anyone take their game to Sabol.

Since then, even after getting a trusted first-hand word of mouth recommendation, I am nervous dropping off any serious taxidermy work. I have a good friend who does skulls, so that's easy. I currently have a bear hide with a guy out of state only because he has done so much reputable work for a buddy of mine. Ay yi yi.

Can you elaborate on well recommended? I have a hard time understanding how a guy could go from producing recommendable work to trashing hides under the porch.

Such a shame. Did you at least get your skull?

Not nearly as bad as you but my dad took our two bears to a taxidermist in Ohio, the following spring I shot a bearded hen and my dad also took it to him to get a full body wall mount. Took over 3 years to get the bears back (full body mounts). Work was decent but he lost both skulls and never got the turkey back.
Yeah I knew the MeatEater guys while living in Bozeman and they told me he was doing good work for them. A year or so after I took my hide to Justin, Rinella apologized on their podcast to everyone they had recommended Sabol to. I had just moved to Bozeman from the Missoula area, so I didn't know anyone down there. I've since moved back to Missoula.

I did get my skull back shortly after dropping it off, so at least I have that.

After reading all of these heartbreaking stories, I’m wondering why taxidermists are not required to be bonded and insured as a prerequisite for licensure?

Last edited:
My good friend dealt with these losers. Sean originally then Justin. Her bull was given to a guy in Billings, which she found out because the guy knew it wasn’t his bull. She finally got that but it was cracked. Her buck skull was completely in half and he still has her Cat (it’s been three years now) claims he has it done but happens to always be “out of town”. Hope these guys gets what’s coming.

My good friend dealt with these losers. Sean originally then Justin. Her bull was given to a guy in Billings, which she found out because the guy knew it wasn’t his bull. She finally got that but it was cracked. Her buck skull was completely in half and he still has her Cat (it’s been three years now) claims he has it done but happens to always be “out of town”. Hope these guys gets what’s coming.
Sorry to hear it. I can't remember how much I've updated here, but Justin Sabol finally confessed last year that my bear hide is long gone. He had a BS story, who knows how or why it disappeared. I have four years of texts and voicemails from him lying to me about the hide, and I showed up to his property unannounced multiple times, and he was never there. Contacted family members, knocked on doors, all of it. I was a signature away from suing, but the lawyers finally persuaded me not to. Too much headache and money for what would likely be an unsatisfying result.

He is utterly dishonest, unprofessional, and unreliable. I would bet money your friend's cat is long gone as well.

People can leave a bad review on google and shouldnt be concerned leaving a bad review on a forum. We need to know bad actors and good actors. Someone may complain but no one is going to sue over a truthful negative review.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Let my friend take a freak antelope to his taxidermist because it was easier than getting it to mine after a hunt. The guy was fine for a year then went crazy. My friend spent a couple years chasing the guy around because he had a NM ibex, some antelope, and a muley. After getting a cop and a lawyer involved he finally was able to go get horns but all capes were ruined.

My dad tried to save money and get animals on his Africa hunt mounted there. They mounted the wrong ones and he paid extra shipping for the bigger crate. Im happy to go through the process to use my tried and true taxidermist even if they cost a little more. Heck all taxidermy is expensive these days so its hard to go elsewhere. Also a good reminder to keep good records and receipts as proof.

People can leave a bad review on google and shouldnt be concerned leaving a bad review on a forum. We need to know bad actors and good actors. Someone may complain but no one is going to sue over a truthful negative review.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Let my friend take a freak antelope to his taxidermist because it was easier than getting it to mine after a hunt. The guy was fine for a year then went crazy. My friend spent a couple years chasing the guy around because he had a NM ibex, some antelope, and a muley. After getting a cop and a lawyer involved he finally was able to go get horns but all capes were ruined.

My dad tried to save money and get animals on his Africa hunt mounted there. They mounted the wrong ones and he paid extra shipping for the bigger crate. Im happy to go through the process to use my tried and true taxidermist even if they cost a little more. Heck all taxidermy is expensive these days so its hard to go elsewhere. Also a good reminder to keep good records and receipts as proof.
I agree and have no issue telling all now. I was hesitant at first just out of internet privacy concerns, and then while I was talking to lawyers I wanted to keep things private.

Also, I was told by FWP Justin has been under investigation by FWP (may still be, idk).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back