PEAX Equipment

Tarnished Brass

JFish

I have quite a bit of very old brass that I’m getting ready to reload. I ran it through a tumbler with walnut media and nu-finish. They shined and cleaned up pretty well but a lot of them still have some type of dark tarnish. Any tips to remove that? It’s smooth to the touch and seems like it’s just a surface stain.65E10667-AE87-49BA-8371-A522E514A8A0.jpeg

Another load & shoot.
As long as it's not pitted into the case side.
I have some 7X57, 284 Win like that pictured.

If it bugs you, some very fine 0000 steel wool or a household cleaner like soft scrub [the no bleach version]. A dab on a paper towel should work. Wipe with a damp paper towel. Otherwise just load and shoot.

Another newb question... FL resized this brass as per RCBS instructions. Set up the die several times and they all came out with a ring near the head. I searched the web and came up with several answers ranging from normal to case head separation. Brass is once fired Winchester cases out of two different rifles . Normal? Screwed up resizing?0DDB388C-3404-48C5-AD84-5CF359DEE7BF.jpeg

Another newb question... FL resized this brass as per RCBS instructions. Set up the die several times and they all came out with a ring near the head. I searched the web and came up with several answers ranging from normal to case head separation. Brass is once fired Winchester cases out of two different rifles . Normal? Screwed up resizing?View attachment 172357

Those rings are made by sizing die. If you’re really worried take a small dental pick or a paperclip with short 90° bend to the end and run it down the case wall. If you don’t feel an indent in those cases it’s just the mark from the sizing die. If you tumble after sizing to clean lube off, some of those marks will kind of buff out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back