Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Target Holder DIY ideas

Hello Everyone, I have struggled with getting good target holders that don't get ruined or all shot up. I saw this on YouTube and thought it was pretty cool. I could probably build something like that. Do people have ideas about good DIY target holders? Thanks!

DIY Target Holder Video

1-1/2" pvc, build a box to hold the paper and T joints hold the legs. Legs have T joints for "feet". My feet are maybe 1-1/2 feet long.

2x4 target stand pdf attached. It's sized to hold four standard targets (A17 or A36 rimfire) for 4H kids. You can scale it up or down. No PVC on our range, once it gets shot it breaks up into shards of plastic everywhere.

Attachments

• 2x4 Target Stand Plans.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 27
I like that 2x4 style shared by @marksjeep. Angle iron would be nice too. The one in the OP looks like it would be terrible with any wind.

For hanging steel I’m a big fan of the hangfast standard t post adapter with a few links of chain. It’s as easy as anything and makes for targets that really move and ring with impacts. Only downfall is if it’s too rocky to get t posts in the ground or if you’re looking to make rapid follow up shots on the same target because of how much it moves.

Last edited:
I took angle iron and made two individual 3’ triangles with essentially a huge 1 3/4” washer on top. I then slide a 1 1/2” pipe thru the washer creating what looks like a saw horse. The pipe has long eyelets bolted thru it. The eyelets are cut enough to allow me to hang AR500 plates on them.

It’s heavy and stands its ground without any movement. The plates swing freely back and forth but not sideways. It is in separate pieces so it all packs into my truck and lays flat, you can take it anywhere.

For body targets:

Two horizontal runs of [insert your lane(s) width] rebar, spaced for cardboard body stapled spray glue, or taped targets connected to vertical 4x posts on either side.
Cheap grip clips (harbor freight) that remain on the top and bottom runs of rebar. The grip clips attach the cardboard and 3m spray glue, quickly dusted to attach targets or the tape/staple.

For plates, I agree with @Wind Gypsy regarding the trees. Those are nice.

Bottom pivot weighted round plates that self right are great. Either in line or separate spacing/distance.

I should have snapped pics of my 15 yard range prior to moving. Meh, I think you get the idea.

2x4 target stand pdf attached. It's sized to hold four standard targets (A17 or A36 rimfire) for 4H kids. You can scale it up or down. No PVC on our range, once it gets shot it breaks up into shards of plastic everywhere.
That’s about exactly how I built one. The only difference I can see is I made the bottom supports so they would fold in flat with the rest of the stand so I could hang it on the wall of my garage.

I talked with a couple of realestate agencies in the area & got a couple of their old for sale sign frames.
Had to fix a couple of broken welds.

I can either use a couple of large clips to hold a piece of fibreboard from a local heating/AC supply shop and staple paper targets to that, or...

Couple strips of old firehose or conveyor belt. Punch holes about 2" apart, wrap around the frame & bolt together.

Carrage bolts welded to plate, run through hole and fasten with fender washer, lock washer & nut.

The cheapest is a frame screwed together from furring strips with the legs dropped in holes. I have a couple that have stood up for several years. These are used for short range handgun practice. I've never hit the frame. And I don't move them around as they are on my home range.

I got a cheap pair of sawhorse clamps and you use a screw and washer to attach these to the cross member. Can also attach gongs to the cross member.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I used 2x4's and on the bottom a platform of 1x6's. In the wind it is easy to add rocks to the llatforn to hold the stand steady. Holds 4 8 1'2x12 home made targets.

2 T-posts, some cardboard, & 4 zip ties are my cheap target solution. Also recently saw some hangers on camofire for suspending a steel target between t-posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back