PEAX Equipment

Talk me out of Riton 10x42 HD Binos

R.K.

Riton Primal 5X 10x42 HD binoculars- lot of places have them for $450-500 (MSRP $600), but there's a sale on some for $300, and I'm really considering them- tell me why I shouldn't?

I was hoping to spend $200-250 on this upgrade, but I'm not sure if I can get the same quality as if I were to bump up. Currently have some 10x32 Bushnell's 10x25 Nikons, and they're okay, but nothing compared to my buddy's Vortex or Dad's Leupolds. I'm very new to the optics game- never had much reason to look a long way until recently.

Specifications for Riton Optics X5 Primal 10x42mm Binoculars:
Color:Green
Magnification:10 x
Objective Lens Diameter:42 mm
Prism System:Roof
Prism Material:BAK4
Eye Relief:15 mm
Exit Pupil:4.17 mm
Field of View, Linear:315 ft at 100 yds
Optical Coating:Fully Multi-Coated
Binoculars Focus System:Center Focus
Water Resistance Level:Waterproof
Length:5.6 in
Weight:23 oz
Finish:Type III Hard Coat Anodized
Package Type:Box
Magnification Type:Fixed
Body Material:Magnesium
Lens Material:HD/ED Glass
Tripod Adaptable:Yes
Fogproof:Yes
Shockproof:Yes

Yay or nay at the $300 price?

Last edited:
Well if your Bushnell's work fine, what's the problem. You want to up grade but to something quite a bit more than you can afford! If that's not bad enough, this is the first time I've ever heard of the brand. Speaking for myself I wouldn't pay that much for any binocular much less a brand I'd never heard of before!

Well if your Bushnell's work fine, what's the problem. You want to up grade but to something quite a bit more than you can afford! If that's not bad enough, this is the first time I've ever heard of the brand. Speaking for myself I wouldn't pay that much for any binocular much less a brand I'd never heard of before!
The current ones are "ok", meaning they magnify things. BUT- they aren't steady, don't hold focus, and are terrible in low light. Field of view is restricted, I can't attach them to a tripod, etc. They were fine for treestand whitetails and chasing ducks, but they just don't cut it for western glassing.

And I think I got confused- digging around online makes me think they're Nikon 10x25. I'll double check when I get home tonight. But they are a far cry from 10x42 that I've been able to use in the field (leupold, vortex, etc.).

Any bino would seem worlds better than your 10x25s.

If you buy the Riton binos, at the reduced sale price, can you return them if they turn out to be not to your liking? If so, give them a whirl and don't let the naysayers try to convince you that only brand named optics provide good glass.

I am a Leupold fan when it comes to rifle scopes, they meet my needs and have incredible customer service. When it come to binos, I have found that "less than popular" glass has impressed me. I only draw the line when "MADE IN CHINA" is printed on the glass. Those will never see a place in my optics collection.

10x25 are not binoculars, they are a frustration, in the physical form of a binocular. Your starting point of reference is so far away feom wht is needed to judge decent binos I suggest getting time behind “real” hunting binos by borrowing or going to stores and trying them out and comparing, outdoors.

do not buy some off brand nobody has heard of sight unseen and tested. Same for name brands for that matter.

Any bino would seem worlds better than your 10x25s.

If you buy the Riton binos, at the reduced sale price, can you return them if they turn out to be not to your liking? If so, give them a whirl and don't let the naysayers try to convince you that only brand named optics provide good glass.

I am a Leupold fan when it comes to rifle scopes, they meet my needs and have incredible customer service. When it come to binos, I have found that "less than popular" glass has impressed me. I only draw the line when "MADE IN CHINA" is printed on the glass. Those will never see a place in my optics collection.

There is a 10-day return policy for anything from Camofire (other than underwear)- I've had good luck with them in the past, but I generally buy well-known stuff. The exception was the BlackOvis (in-house) brand of synthetic game bags, which seem to get a new hole every time I run them through the washer.

10x25 are not binoculars, they are a frustration, in the physical form of a binocular. Your starting point of reference is so far away feom wht is needed to judge decent binos I suggest getting time behind “real” hunting binos by borrowing or going to stores and trying them out and comparing, outdoors.

do not buy some off brand nobody has heard of sight unseen and tested. Same for name brands for that matter.

You would be correct- they are a pocket-sized frustration that have located some antelope for me and helped me figure out where to set for ducks. But they are absolutely miserable to use when trying to find deer & elk, especially in timber. But it looks like some of their products are assembled in China, and I'd like to avoid anything related to China if possible.

I've been a fan of the Leupold BX-2 Alpine 10x42s
Doing some quick looking online, these seems to lack fog-resistance. Has that been a problem for you at all? Leupold definitely has a good reputation, plus the whole "forum sponsor" thing.

For under $500 the best Bino I’ve looked through are Theron Questa from @schmalts

Those seem to have a really good reputation from what I can tell, but I'm not finding anywhere to buy a set online. I might PM schmalts to see if he has anything, or if he has a suggestion on something else in my price range & where to find it.

Really appreciate all the advice so far.

Never heard of them. I'm usually not one to gamble on "untested" companies. They may offer a great warranty and stuff now, but will they be around in 5 years?

PM schmalts. He can get you set up with the Therons or leupold bx4s for a price I think you'll be happy with.

I would recommend saving a bit more and getting a pair of Leupold BX-4 HD's. Great all-around binos, made in Japan, Leupold forever warranty. PM Schmalts or look for a used pair.

Just FYI Riton is a USA company started by a US Vet.
Straight out of Tucson, Arizona, Riton Optics was founded in 2013 by a Law Enforcement and Military Veteran, Brady Speth, and his wife, Carrie Speth. In designing this Veteran and family owned business,

I saw the same ad on camofire and looked into the brand.

I've heard of them, and you can find reviews. They're kinda like maven as I understand it, but a little newer so less reputation. That said, for your first nicer Bino, pick something boring and reliable.

I recently purchased an X7 Riton 3x24 -50mm scope. It is very well made and has very superior optics for the price. I have not seen their bino's yet, bit I would bet they are very well built with high quality glass. The scope I have was made in Japan.
Jeff

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back