Tajikistan Ibex

Ibex has been a serious consideration for me. I'll be very interested to hear how this plays out. Personal security in and out of that neck of woods is a concern. This year looks like I'm committed to Africa for Barbary sheep and lechwe but maybe Ibex in 2023.
Those hunts sound like fun.

Im not worried about safety. I don’t want to have any issues with paperwork or flights. I hate that dumb stuff, lol.

Good luck and have fun. My New Zealand hunt deposit has been paid since May 2020 and Americans still can’t get in. Late 2022, maybe? Looking forward to your pictures!

It will be interesting to see how a guy from South Carolina handles that altitude. I'm only at 600' here. Didn't have any trouble hunting right on top of the continental divide in Montana last fall but no comparison really to the country you will be in. Not sure I've ever heard of anyone getting altitude sickness anywhere in Montana. I seemed to adapt fairly quickly but I'm reasonably fit for a guy my age. Hasn't been a "spare tire" in my trunk since 1972.

It will be interesting to see how a guy from South Carolina handles that altitude. I'm only at 600' here. Didn't have any trouble hunting right on top of the continental divide in Montana last fall but no comparison really to the country you will be in. Not sure I've ever heard of anyone getting altitude sickness anywhere in Montana. I seemed to adapt fairly quickly but I'm reasonably fit for a guy my age. Hasn't been a "spare tire" in my trunk since 1972.
I’ve hunted multiple times above 12k with no issues. In the winter the ibex come down a lot because of all the snow so I won’t be way up towards the top. I’m not anticipating any issues. I’m in pretty good shape and train daily. Time will tell.

I think ibex are one of the coolest animals around. I am extremely jealous and I hope you have an awesome trip. I’ve done one big guided hunt trip and my anxiousness almost ruined it for me. I always say if I do it again, I’ll enjoy it even more.

Plan on things going wrong here and there, but stay focused on the mission and roll with it. I get frustrated easily but find that mentality helps.

I’ve hunted multiple times above 12k with no issues. In the winter the ibex come down a lot because of all the snow so I won’t be way up towards the top. I’m not anticipating any issues. I’m in pretty good shape and train daily. Time will tell.
Hope the weather cooperates for you. Good luck!

Pay attention to how the locals move when at high altitude. Not exactly in slow motion but in a thoughtful fashion. No wasted energy and no jumping up and down. At age sixty I took a 60 inch Marco Polo at 17000 feet. We were camped at 15000. I worked out a lot prior to going and i am sure that helped. Also did not try to impress anyone, just took are of myself and shot straight. Did not see a green tree for three weeks. Loved every trip to that part of the world but always happy to get home.

Two years ago they had record amounts of snow. We actually were suppose to go to an area that had yaks that would haul us up the mountain and stay in yurts. The avalanches were so bad throughout the area that we had to go to the village in the video. I hunted with those guys there. We couldn't even get to the village without a dozer to move avalanche debris on the roads. Even with all that snow I was up around 12 k to kill my ibex. The guy I went with got his lower and there were other Ibex down low too, just not the ones I was looking for.

The region gets better weather (on average) than we do, and that amount of snow was not normal at all. Good luck.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back