Caribou Gear

tahr hunting in nz

kiwi hunter

just a heads up for anyone interested in a tahr hunt(maybe a chamois too)also wallaby..im going back to the south island and will be living in south canterbury and will have all of may to assist any usa hunters interested in coming down,,those who are not quite so fit pls bring an xtra grand for a heli as tahr live fairly high at that time of year
i will provide a rifle,,you only need tent n sleeping bag plus your essential gear,,great cheap experience as there are no tags

Generous invite, shame us Brits aren't invited :ROFLMAO:
If I ever get down there I will be a fair bit older, but might still be fit enough!
Cheers
Richard

Anyone thinking about this I would jump on it, what an amazing place and great hunting, the people are also so friendly in asking about your adventure it was a total pleasure to be there, I was fortunate to shoot, Tahr,chamois and a red stag so my time was blessed in some amazing country, great off Kiwi, can I post this to get people interested.

Z32oKXT.jpg

Not sure how you’ve found it Kiwi Hunter but the recent cull shouldn’t put people off. There are still good numbers around.

dont back out now Richard,,its not an excuse
i havent been back south for a yr Cam but as youve found out recently i think its business as usual

Agreed, business as usual. Heading back into a west coast tahr ballot block in June so will be interesting to compare to 3 years ago.

@kiwi hunter, That's a very generous offer.

@Kiwi, I'm not aware of the cull that you mentioned, but when I hunted there in 2014 my outfitter told me that as part of his license, at the end of each season he was required to kill something like 2,000 Tahr.

@buffybr yes each outfitter is required to cull tahr based on the number they hunt with clients.
In addition to these ‘outfitter culls’ the government culled 10,000 Tahr last year. Made a dent in the population but still plenty around.

@buffybr yes each outfitter is required to cull tahr based on the number they hunt with clients.
In addition to these ‘outfitter culls’ the government culled 10,000 Tahr last year. Made a dent in the population but still plenty around.
We are planning on a 2021/22 visit to the Southern Isles. We have been saving religiously and understand that having a "local" or "guide" is required. Are the guide fees outrageous like in the US? Everything I have seen are in the middle of the road and there are definitely both ends of the spectrum.

You aren’t required to have an outfitter or local, but it helps. I’ve never been guided but I’d say the costs are high. Anyone can hunt NZ public land at no cost.

We are planning on a 2021/22 visit to the Southern Isles. We have been saving religiously and understand that having a "local" or "guide" is required. Are the guide fees outrageous like in the US? Everything I have seen are in the middle of the road and there are definitely both ends of the spectrum.

Who told you a guide is required ? Sounds like maybe a guide told you that $$$$. I've been there 5 times and was there June 2019 and I've never hired a guide.

Mounting my tahr today and seeing your pics really makes me wish I was there. I'm really glad I went last year seeing how foreigners can't come over now until....................... ?

thats what im saying,,unable to post videos,,a live animal works much better
ps,,the day we were allowed out of prison i shot up to Taupo and hunted sika but the rut had finished,,i did get some venison tho,,anytime you make it over Glasseye for the sika rut my spot is yours

Back