Tahr hunt 2019

How did the wire cleats not cause issues on the hard rock? I always have to ditch them until get back on ice.

My friend was wearing them. The rock was icy in many places. He didn't fall so I assume they worked good. I used an ice axe and found it invaluable on rocks and soil in vertical terrain.

Congrats on a successful hunt. Amazing video and photos. Its tough and intimidating country and shooting a tahr there is a trophy to be proud of! Hope you have a return trip planned.

Congrats on a successful hunt. Amazing video and photos. Its tough and intimidating country and shooting a tahr there is a trophy to be proud of! Hope you have a return trip planned.

I believe that my future hunts in NZ will be for deer during the roar. I'd like to get public land red, sika, and fallow. I think my wife will like the weather better in Mar/Apr.

I believe that my future hunts in NZ will be for deer during the roar. I'd like to get public land red, sika, and fallow. I think my wife will like the weather better in Mar/Apr.
If you're planning to hunt next roar, there are south island ballots that you could enter. And with your luck you'll probably get a great block again!

If you're planning to hunt next roar, there are south island ballots that you could enter. And with your luck you'll probably get a great block again!

Was thinking of the North Island. I've been to the South Island 5 times but never to the North Island. Plus there are no Sikas on the S. Is.

Ok, in that case I’d suggest you look at booking a chopper into the kawekas for late April - early May and you should hit the sika roar. The chopper booking means you have booked the rights to fly into the hut/campsite and no one else can fly there at the same time. Here is the email for the best operator [email protected]
($320pp)
You can book 18months out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back