MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Synthetics vs. Merino Wool?

npaden

Any big opinions out there?

Camofire has some core4 merino wool base layer shirts on right now and I'm trying to decide if I want to buy one or not.

I have base layers from Sitka, Core4 and Russell APXg2 that are all synthetic and they seem to do fine. I have the base layer in all of them and I have the midweight layers for Core4 and Russell for if it gets cold. I have some of the Mothwing base layer stuff and I really like it as well.

I have the merino wool boxers from Core4 and really liked them until I got the Mothwing boxers and I still like them, but not as much as the Mothwing synthetics.

I like the synthetics for moisture wicking as I'm quite a sweat generator when moving and I just don't think the Merino would be able to do as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan

I absolutely love merino. I've been slowly replacing all my socks, long underwear and boxers with the stuff over the last couple years.

I have a Sitka baselayer shirt that I use as my camo top during archery season. I hate it. As soon as you sweat in it the least little bit, the thing smells horrible until it gets washed again, where as you can wear the merino day after day and it never smells, and keeps wicking away the moisture.

I hate to say it but you are right Randy I have noticed the same stinkink a$$ smell from my sitka core shirts. Thought it was just me though.

I bought one of the core4element shirts from camofire and agree also. I know I sweat but lord I didnt think it was that bad, think Ill be trying merino in the future also.

Whoever was the guy here that said the sock shoes would smell like an a$$hole after a 10 day backpack hunt pretty much describes the smell.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back