Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Swarovski vs Other Top Tier Optics

blueknight99

Looking at a ceiling of $3000, I was researching some high end scopes for hunting rifles and saw a Swarovskis in that price range. Although never personally owned a Swaro or any other high end scopes (Leica, Zeiss) I would like to explore higher quality scopes around $3000 mark.

Currently, own a basic Leupold v3i 3.5-10 40 scopes. It is very good but want something of a higher quality. What are your opinions and favorite high quality scopes.

Minimum top end magnification of at least 10 or 12x ; starting from either 3.5x, 4x, or 6x doesn't matter. The application/purpose is hunting. I don't mind lugging around a bit of weight but ideally should be under 20-25 oz/ 1.5 pounds ,like the Swarovski Z6i or Z8i series. Objective lens diameter ideally 50mm.

Last edited:
What power range? Dialing with it or set and forget? Reticle? Any weight limits?

Thanks for educating me. Edited the opening post and added a bit more technical details. By the way might be dialing with it if needed as I hunt from improvised tree stands. Usually set it to 200m and then take it from there wherever needed.

I have a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 on my main hunting rifle. I have used it for a few years now and love it. It lives up to the hype and is insanely clear and amazing light transmission. The only disadvantage I've ever found is the adjustment range of the turret system of this line. It only allows one rotation and with my 30-06 it maxes out at 600yrds. That's farther than I need personally as even the longest range around here only goes to 630yrds.

Other than that I've never regretted spending the money.

It might push your ceilings on price and weight just a little, but the Kahles K318i scope should be amazing. 3.5-18x50 it is first focal plane, which I prefer, but may not be what you're looking for. The Kahles scopes I've used are very impressive.

VX6 HD in whatever power/ configuration! Leupold. Probably in the $1500+ range & spend the extra on bino/ spotter!
Agree. A scope has to hold zero, etc. but you will spend much more time behind quality
Hard to go wrong with Leica, Swaro, Etc. Just decide how far you plan to shoot and find a scope that fits that situation.

ive just brought a little vixen 3=12x40 good clear scope under a pound and under 12 inches long,,on six power i can see a pinecone clear enough to shoot it at 451 yrds
its replaced a 2- 7x32,,i used to shoot wallabys on seven power out past 300+ with this,,its just im going to stretch the rifle out to 500 and needed an excuse to buy this little vixen

Lots of good high-end glass, I'm sure all of it good. A few you haven't mentioned that you may want to research; Nightforce, March, Minox, etc. I use a Vortex Razor Gen II on my competition rifle and a Razor AMG on a hunting rifle, love them both. When I shoot my sons rifle with the Kahles, I get a little jealous. You need to decide if you want to have exposed turrets or a sleeker capped turret scope. I use even my hunting rifles a lot at the range and greatly prefer exposed turrets, zero-stop turrets, first focal plane and lots of magnification.

Lots of good high-end glass, I'm sure all of it good. A few you haven't mentioned that you may want to research; Nightforce, March, Minox, etc. I use a Vortex Razor Gen II on my competition rifle and a Razor AMG on a hunting rifle, love them both. When I shoot my sons rifle with the Kahles, I get a little jealous. You need to decide if you want to have exposed turrets or a sleeker capped turret scope. I use even my hunting rifles a lot at the range and greatly prefer exposed turrets, zero-stop turrets, first focal plane and lots of magnification.

I too prefer exposed turrets and first focal plane.

I love my nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 ffp. Holds zero perfectly, amazing glass, and built like a tank.

I would also look at the Schmidt and benders and leupolds mark 4 line

I have the Leupold vx3, vx6, and vx5. I love them. Super clear. I personally use Leupold and it comes down to personal preference. I was going to get a Swarovski Z6 but then saw how good my vx6 was and stuck with Leupold. I like the cds dials. And I personally like the vx5 the most out of the scopes I have. For me it wasn’t worth spending the money on the Swarovski. But they do make good optics

I understand the Leupolds have a strong fan following and the glass is very clear as well. I have a VX3i myself, very nice for the price.

Was just looking at the next level optics.

Coming to the one we were talking about, how do the below three compare?

Schmidt & Bender
Swarovski
Leica

I guess I read somewhere Leica glass is the clearest of all. With the S&B’s being good in the dawn and dusk conditions.

I don’t have the experience with the class of optics your inquiring about, but I would either ask this on AR15.com or google AR15.com (your topic here) and find threads that pertain to this. I frequent that site and some of the people there have tens of thousands of dollars in optics.

Here Is a link to a recent thread about the topic. A little more prying would return better answers. Or a thread in General discussion would do well.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back