Swaro SLC vs….

Red_7.08

So I know Swaro SLC are discontinued and used options are out there but hard to find. For the sake of this, let’s say used SLC are $1300. Are they really that much better than Zeiss Conquest @ $750 or Meopta Meopro Air @ $750. Is there really a $550 difference?

If your set on the SLC I believe Kahles picked the SLC line up and are their Helia 42 S model.

On the flipside of this, how much of a functional difference are the ELs compared to SLC for the cost difference?

i sold my el 10x42 n got a cl companion, glass wise no different
just because i hunt alone and fly camp a lot

Conquest are good binos. Wider field of view than the Swarovski. They have served me well for several years. But let me tell you a story…

My wife has a pair of the SLCs. This year on our sheep hunt I handed her my binos to check out a bear we had seen. Hers were about 100 yards away by the tent. She looked through them for about 2 minutes after adjusting to get them focused. When she handed them back, she said “I don’t know how you can see anything through those”. So, Theres definitely a noticeable difference between the SLCs and conquest…. And I pack the SLCs when the wife isn’t hunting!

When I bought my SLCs I compared them to everything in a similar price bracket. The only glass I liked a little more was the EL, but I got a rolling ball effect from the field flattener. The only glass that cost less that I thought compared was the Meopta Meostar. They were really close.

I have the SLC’s. Initially wanting the Zeiss, I laid all those mentioned out side by side and the SLC’s won me over. I’m not sorry I did. Best anniversary present I’ve gotten yet.

I’ve been using a pair of Zeiss Conquests for the last five years, and have liked them a lot. I feel like for their price range, they are excellent binoculars. But my dad has the SLCs, and I would agree that they are certainly better binoculars—the Conquests have a “sweet spot” while the SLCs are crisp from edge to edge. SLCs are just a tad brighter to my eyes as well.

Have you looked through each of the binos you’re considering? In field conditions at low light? You may find you end up liking one over another, and you might be surprised by which pair that ends up being. Also, where are you seeing new Conquests selling for $750? Or was that for used pairs?

I’ve been using a pair of Zeiss Conquests for the last five years, and have liked them a lot. I feel like for their price range, they are excellent binoculars. But my dad has the SLCs, and I would agree that they are certainly better binoculars—the Conquests have a “sweet spot” while the SLCs are crisp from edge to edge. SLCs are just a tad brighter to my eyes as well.

Have you looked through each of the binos you’re considering? In field conditions at low light? You may find you end up liking one over another, and you might be surprised by which pair that ends up being. Also, where are you seeing new Conquests selling for $750? Or was that for used pairs?
Unfortunately there is no location close to me with any of the 3. Min 2 hour drive to the closes bass pro or cabela’s. Im having to make this decision based on reviews and recommendations.

Demo Conquest models on eurooptic

I had the conquests for 4 or 5 years. They were nice but I had trouble with them blacking out. I got a pair of SLCs and still smile every time I look through them. Worth it for me, though I’m sure I could hunt with the Conquests the rest of my life and not shoot any less animals.

Unfortunately there is no location close to me with any of the 3. Min 2 hour drive to the closes bass pro or cabela’s. Im having to make this decision based on reviews and recommendations.

Demo Conquest models on eurooptic
That 2 hour drive is one I would recommend. Your not just looking to buy something, this could be an investment that will last you the rest of your life. I drove 3 hours to a town to look through the brands at the time Leica, Swaro, Luepold. I would make that drive in a heart beat again.

I guess there is nobody that has the Meopro Airs to give any input??
I used the Meopro Air for 2 weeks one spring for a review. They’re a very good binocular. Showed very little Chromatic Aberration, seemed to have 85% of the FOV in focus. Their physical characteristics felt very light and svelte in your hand and they have the dual bridge design that some people love or hate.

As for dislikes, I thought they had more of a tunneling view than what you usually see from binoculars in that price range. Another thing I didn’t care for is the that the tripod attachment is on the front of the lower hinge. This seemed to really balance poorly when mounted on something like an Outdoorsmans Stud.

I would take the Meostar B1 Plus over the SLC. But I would rather have used SLC’s (and the Conquests) over the Meopro Air as long as you’re okay with spending $1200-$1300.

So I know Swaro SLC are discontinued and used options are out there but hard to find. For the sake of this, let’s say used SLC are $1300. Are they really that much better than Zeiss Conquest @ $750 or Meopta Meopro Air @ $750. Is there really a $550 difference?
Yes

To my eyes the slc are only an incremental improvement over several $1000ish options. The EL to my eyes were night and day better. I refuse to look through the NL because I don’t want to know.
Right there with you...I need to stay oblivious.

Another option would be to pick up a set of Pre-swarovision EL's, which can be had for about that same price. I actually sold my Swarovision EL's as i liked my pre-swarovision EL's better. I got the rolling effect occasionally and like the Ergos better on the Earlier model.

I've looked through the Cabelas Euro Binos which I believe are the same as the Meopta Meostar B1 model. These very much impressed me.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back