Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Swan (goose?) hunt 2001

mtmiller

Howdy folks, looks like my waterfowl season is over since everything is pretty much frozen. Thought I would post a picture of a swan I took earlier in the season. I ate the one I took a couple of years ago, but it wasn't the tastiest. This guy became swan jerky and he was better that way.

2001%20two%20swans.jpg

It was a good thing the swans decoyed, because the canadas weren't interested. Well good luck to you guys still duck hunting. Hopefully I can take in a hunt down south with birds in full plumage someday.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-12-2001 17:26: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

Where's the picture??????

Are swan's legal there????

If you are ever in Boise, let me know. We can go duck/goose hunting. It ain't the best, but it is still fun!

Elk Turd

Mtmiller.. this is what i get when i pull the link up on a browser... you did do everything right seems the pic has been moved...
"We're sorry!
The Webshots page you have requested has either moved or no longer exists."

Delw

Sorry about the picture problem. Looks like many of my excite.com pictures have been screwed up since the last time I was there.

Thanks for the invite Elk Terd. I see you are from Boise, I spent the first 7 months of my life there, but don't remember much. haha... I hope to try a deer hunt in Idaho someday, but need to look into the application process a little more in depth. If I apply for a draw only area and don't draw, do I have to forfeit my application fee? If I remember correctly I can then only hunt general areas (if I don't draw), but am ignorant to those hunting opportunities (too many people, too few deer, etc???)

In MT you can legally harvest two swans, one from the pacific flyway and one from the central. As to this point, I have only hunted in the central flyway. These are not the wariest birds, and I have heard of them being decoyed with white floating garbage bags. They are amazing birds and several hundered spend a month or two within a couple hundred yards of my backyard. I didn't get a weight on this bird, but my '99 bird went 19 pounds.

If you want to try some duck hunting in this part of the county maybe I can help you out. Waterfowl was a little slow around here and we have been fighting with drought conditions for the past 3 years.

Holy cow! I'm suprised you had time to hunt after putting out all those decoys! :eek: ;)

Oak

mtmiller - Those are awesome birds! Nice decoy spread!! We usually have a few dozen ducks and a dozen goose decoys. Looks like I have to go shopping!

Congrats on the swans!!

MTmiller... I got a woody to shoot some Geese / ducks... Let me tell ya about Idaho. IF you wan to hutn Deer over here, fire me an E-mail...

I'd be willing to take ya.. YOU are a good lookin' Fella ;) HAHA !!

HOW about inviting me next year.. Errr this year... for a swan/goose/duck hunt. You're only a few hours from here.. RIGHT ?!?!?! :D :D

ALSO, I'm getting landto hunt on, YOU could swing this way if the hunting is good... BTW, HOW many Dec's ya got.. LOKKS like about $1000-$1,200 worth :eek: :eek:

Wait a minute, no talking about sporting wood and complimenting my looks. :D

You are more than welcome to come on up for a waterfowl hunt, but I will warn you, I am not the best duck hunter. I have only been at it a couple of years and am just lucky there is little competition around here.

The picture above only shows part of the spread we (me and another guy) had out that day. I only have a dozen honker floaters and a couple dozen mallards, the rest belong to the other guy (he is a fanatic).

I wish that kind of spread was only $1,200. He had 3 dozen big foots and I think they go about 30 bucks a pop. Some of those shells were 4 footers and we needed them. The water level was so low we had to bury ourselves in the decoys because of the lack of cover.

The water situation is looking dismal again this year, but I guess we still have time for something to happen. If we fill up some wetlands I can guarantee you some pretty good shooting even with my crappy calling (not joking). :eek: If you want a swan the last part of October and early November have been the best the last three years. These are some dumb birds and I have heard of hunters decoying them in with air filled white garbage bags on the water. I think the tag is only $3, but you need to apply for it. As for travel, I was in Jerome a couple of weeks ago and it was about a 12 hour drive.

What is the story with the deer hunting in Idaho? I am trying to research it a little bit, but haven't figured out the best areas to send in for.

One condition if you come out for a hunt. I saw those wedding pictures on MM and it looks like ID produces some nice looking ladies (or at least better than what is around here). One of those would be a nice greeting gift. ;)

WHAT.. A guy can't complimet another guy, wear a pan, and talk about sleeping with sheep... and the other guy gets worried... Ohh I guess that could look bad, EH !!
;)

Seriously though, TELL me about what I need to do to get one of them-thar $3 permits. Could ya look into that for me ?!?! (THANX) Whens the deadline ?

LEMME tell you how we duck hunt... WE set upon public ground..... Do some feedng chuckles... (Don't quack much) And they come in.. then we all unload our gun, if we're lucky, we;'ll go pick up a duck, an then reload and shoot again
I don't even own a call.... I hunted the last day of the season without a call and got the most ducks of anyone all year.. GO figure. AND I also had 8 geese come in.. No calling.... So, I'm not to sold on the $200 calls yet... ;)

Jerome is 2 hours from Boise. so We're looking at 15 hours... Tell me ya drive slow... So I can cut that time down a bit

Oct/Nov... Uhhh thats deer/Elk time... I don't know if I could get out then... MAybe the later part of Nov. We'l;l keep in touch !!!

Sory on Idaho deer eh ?!!? WELL.. there's some draws, but I hunt only the General season. A guy just needs to be in great shape and... WELL.. easy as hat , what else ya need to know ?!? ;) Tags are over the counter and good throughout the state on the deer hunting. Unless you're looking for a specific place. I put in for sheep every year ,thus not alowed to draw on anything else. Kind of an Idaho rule. So I'm stuck with the Gen Season stuff....

One condition if you come out for a hunt. I saw pictures on http://www.montanasheeploversinc.com . Looks like Montanna produces some nice looking sheep (or at least better than what is around here). One of those would be a nice greeting gift. ;)

Yeh, the best time to waterfowl around here is during the big game season. I am hoping they will even out hunting seasons through out the year and I can hunt ducks in the Spring ;)

The one good thing is that I live on a wildlife refuge and can hit the water with a golf ball from my back yard. This allows me to get some hunting in after work. My weekends and time off ususlly go towards chasing big game.

BTW, Jerome to Malta was right at 700 miles and we did not make record time because of some icy roads near W. Yellowstone and having to travel the speed limit in the gov't rig. I am sure you could make better time if the weather cooperates.

I will look into the non-resident tags. I heard MT is raising the price for the state waterfowl stamp (suprise), but I think it was only 5-10 bucks in the past. The swan draw deadline is not until early Sept and in my area there are always leftovers to be purchased over the counter. It may be the same lot for non-residents?

If non-resident tags are available over the counter I may be interested in checking out ID. It all depends on how draws in WY, SD and MT elk, sheep and moose go.

Also, what are you looking for in a sheep? Long hair or sheared, young or experienced. I do know of a couple that are sure things. :D

MT, well, the best ime here was early Dec I think. We can hunt clear into Jan also. that makes for a good stagered hunt... by then the wife is Tiered of me going. Maybe one day I can get lucky and she'll not like me as much as she does :confused: ..... ;)

YEH, I'll look into the info on hunting there. I just popped over to the hunting website... I could find all big game and Uplang game... but not waterfowl.

I might be over this year (DOUBT I'll draw) on Elk/Deer hunting. If so, If I get the lucky undies on right and I tag out a day early maybe I could swing over and sit over some decoys ?

And.... WOW, I didn't know there was options on the sheep... I'll need to think about it ;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back