Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

SW Montana Bears

Southern Elk

I've never hunted bears, but I am interested in giving it a shot. I'm interested in learning if hunting them in SW MT is worth while. I've occasionally seen them while elk hunting, but I'm thinking about a spring hunt. How would a fellow go about finding a bear there in the spring? What tactics do you use? Where do you look? Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

I know a guy and have seen the proof, he has shot 13 bears in SW MT. I have shot one, a little north of what i consider SW MT. My advice is south facing hillsides up by the snowline where the grass is nice and green. Walk logging roads and find a good place to glass lots of country and wait. Generally I have seen bears in the last hour of the day mostly but have seen videos of guys finding them at all times of the day. But the south facing hillsides is a big one. Wherever the snow is gone and the grass is green. Good luck!

The snow will melt at different times depending on the elevation. Come in early May and find the right elevation. The bears move around accordingly.

It can be tough to predict snow pack levels in the spring - there can be a wide variance.

You can watch snotel sites and compare them from previous years data (http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow_map.html). Again, it would be a rough estimate. Especially because individual mountain ranges can be high or low in any given year.

Early May is a good time of year to plan like TRS says.

I'd listen to greenhorn...but only if your interested in giant bears. I dont think his advice works on anything other than huge bears

The snow will melt at different times depending on the elevation. Come in early May and find the right elevation. The bears move around accordingly.

It all boils down to this...we were out in NW Montana last May for 8 days. First ever bear hunt, took us 4 days to find the sweet spot in elevation - we found that to be about a 400' swath. We o-for-ed the first 4 days as we were just a little too high or just a little low, saw bears every day thereafter. Awesome time of year to see the mountains come alive!!! Game EVERYWHERE. Oh, and be prepared to glass your eyeballs out.

Back