Suspenders

ThunderNocked

I've never owned or used a set of suspenders but over the weekend I attempted an archery caribou hunt even farther north then me in Fairbanks/North Pole and had to wear snow pants. Now my pants kept trying to fall off and I didn't bring a belt.
I've been considering getting suspenders for hunting anyway and am wondering if there is anything special or unique I should look for for back country hunting, road hunting, and just in general suspenders I'll be using hunting!

I wear em all the damn time hunting. Probably the best are attached with buttons on your pants. Then there are hooks that grab your belt loops, I’ve always feared then simply jerking off the loops. Next are similar but clip into your belt, but your not a belt guy… Finally there are leather loops you put your belt through, these are as secure as the buttons but no need to sew buttons into all your pants. Then the clips, they can be good or crap, I do not like the way they rub on upholstery, and can release by snagging.

https://www.suspenderstore.com/ I’ve used this outfit several times, had a return that was painless. They have some info you’ll find useful.

@Hertervillian I normally wear a belt - for work and 60/40 in the woods hiking.
But those snow pants I didn't even think about it. I've also thought about them because as a heavy set guy sometimes the pack-belt-pants combo sometimes can create issues.
I'll check them out! Thanks!

I have a set of first lite suspenders that clip on to the belt loops that I like quite a bit.

I’ve also got some of the suspenders that clip onto you belt like mentioned above, but they do snag, come off, and require you to wear a belt. A heavier thicker belt works best in my experience.

One needs to keep track of those straps too. Never trust them to fall where they should, never.
The New FL suspenders are pretty nice. Both the Sitka and FL are easy to just unhook when it's time to make mud. Just be careful not to dump on em.
IMO suspenders are nice when you've got a big pack on that might push your pants down if your packs not set exactly where you want it.
Also nice on heavy pants like wool to keep em up. I had rivets or buttons sewn on the inside of some of my heavyweight pants like the ones on Levis button fly pants and use the Filson suspenders.

The New FL suspenders are pretty nice. Both the Sitka and FL are easy to just unhook when it's time to make mud. Just be careful not to dump on em.
IMO suspenders are nice when you've got a big pack on that might push your pants down if your packs not set exactly where you want it.
Also nice on heavy pants like wool to keep em up. I had rivets or buttons sewn on the inside of some of my heavyweight pants like the ones on Levis button fly pants and use the Filson suspenders.
that was the snow pants - I decided not to wear bibs for the first time and go with regular pants and just couldn't get them to stay. So I started thinking.

If you like the way it makes gut cleavage, you might enjoy these...

HIKERS-button-fly-suspenders-stay-hidden-under-your-untucked-t-shirt-reveal_1f4e38a3-10c8-4c99-97ce-430a1bb7bef6_540x.jpg

A 50 pound pack or more and pant belts are a combination for pain. Suspenders are the solution. My bony hips have thanked me numerous times for getting rid of the belt.

I also use them with my timberline pants but have an embarrassing issue with them. They rub my nipples raw even on the outside of my base layers. My bro in law laughs at me every time. I have to cross them in the front sometime between day 2 and day 3 in a 7-8 day hunt. This gif comes up every time. I'd stop wearing 'em but they are pretty nice to have until you gotta drop a poop.

1668462370184.png

I’ve been dressing a good 40 years ahead of my age while hunting this season and using the belt/suspender combo. Really enjoy First Lite’s stretchy belt. Their suspenders hold things up in just the right place that it hasn’t been grinding in my back at all. Just need to get myself a Stormy Kromer to complete the geriatric fall fashion look.

I’ve been dressing a good 40 years ahead of my age while hunting this season and using the belt/suspender combo. Really enjoy First Lite’s stretchy belt. Their suspenders hold things up in just the right place that it hasn’t been grinding in my back at all. Just need to get myself a Stormy Kromer to complete the geriatric fall fashion look.
I consider my Kromer to be quite fashionable, I'll have you know!
David
NM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back