Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Survival blankets

MITCHMO

Does anyone have any particular favorites for a packable space/survival blanket of some sort? I cut up my last one to help keep meat out of the dirt and need to replace it. Having never used it to stay warm I have no idea how well it would have even worked. Any recommendations?

I use the space blanket bivy. Figure if I ever need it the bivy will be more useful than a blanket. It’s about the size of a D battery packed up. I keep an ultralight tarp in the bag for emergency shelter but mostly keeping meat out of the dirt.

Haha so I’m not the only one that is happy to sacrifice it to keep meat clean?
Nope, not even in the slightest! I use them to keep all the dirt and grass off the meat. Means I'm lucky to get two seasons out of one. But for twenty bucks or so that's fine

Last year I did a few early season August hunts in the high country without a sleeping bag, tent, or bivy. My only items to stay warm were a full upper and lower down and merino layer, plus a space blanket. Temps were 70s during the day, low 40s at night, sunny and clear, low breeze, definitely fair weather. It was a test of gear and mental fortitude, but also a learning experience. One thing I learned was that although it keeps you warm (survival warm), they do not breath at all. I ended up with condensation inside with me multiple times - huge negative. Also learned to find camp spots out of the wind, which ironically put me into closer proximity to the mule deer I was hunting.

The space blanket is huge and open ended so easy to wrap up in. Cant say a nicer one is better than the cheap ones. I have the cheap one and now its folded up and still in my emergency kit. If I have all my other gear with me, its something I feel comfortable leaving home without. Not sure it would actually save my life. Maybe if it was way colder and I had a fire as well to dry out next to. Making a fire in a natural shelter is definitely a better plan that wrapping up in a space blanket and just sitting the situation out.

Havent used it to cut up and lay out meat yet. Always bone it out on the animal and it goes straight into a game bag.

Tried one once on a very windy day, mid 50s, just to see how it worked. It didn't. Doesn't breathe, so you get wet quickly, which makes everything worse. You could do the same thing with a big garbage bag.

Good article @longbow51 You confirmed my experience as well. For 9oz of extra weight, I think Id take other gear instead of an emergency bivy. I normally carry and use the borah gear bivy. When combined with my 10* rated quilt that weighs less than 2 lbs, Id rather just carry that gear with me constantly. Seek or build natural shelter in an emergency if my tent or tarp fails. Will leave that space blanket home this year. Been carrying that extra weight for years and I dont see it as a safety item anymore. False sense of security is right.

I carry a reactor extreme. Packs into my shoulder strap hip pack or any pack carried.
Used it many times when on the elk and don't want to pack back to base camp.
Is it great? Meh, better than w/o, for certain. Gives me a sense of comfort that if I do stay on them, I'll manage.
Also nice addition if, at pack in camp, hit with one of our Montana weather flips. A great bag liner.
The garbage thin little packets - maybe as a reflective for a fire? I don't know.

I carry a reactor extreme. Packs into my shoulder strap hip pack or any pack carried.
Used it many times when on the elk and don't want to pack back to base camp.
Is it great? Meh, better than w/o, for certain. Gives me a sense of comfort that if I do stay on them, I'll manage.
Also nice addition if, at pack in camp, hit with one of our Montana weather flips. A great bag liner.
The garbage thin little packets - maybe as a reflective for a fire? I don't know.

I think this is what I’m going to pick up. I really like the idea of having something like this. I always carry my puffys regardless of weather so I think those will help as well. I’m also thinking of carrying a small tarp as well. I’ll be chasing caribou in September so I’m overthinking everything.

I have an XL SOL tarp in my first-aid kit, have used it twice for "survival" once for an overnight shelter and once as a rain poncho. I also pack a small tarp on some trips. The space blanket is used for a meat shelter at times or clean place to set meat. I'm s not a donor die piece of gear, but handy to have at times.

I have a simple tarp, 5x9' made of lightweight ripstop waterproof material from Rockywood fabrics.

Constructed a wall tent (w/ MIL assist) using a similar fabric as shared below though my fabric was around 3oz per SQ yard. 15#'s with titanium lg SO stove/pipe.
1690105393020.png

They're a wholesaler for public materials. It's like entering a steel yard... Haha! I want to buy too much as the creative juices kick in. Everything from linear yardage ripstop to snaps/clips, zippers, webbing, etc.

One example: 0.68oz per SQ yard.

Also have an "Outdoor Research bivy-sack helium bivy".
1#. Packs to 1'x4" and carry it when my intent is to spike camp with sleeping bag though I've carried it with my reactor extreme on occasions where I sensed bad weather may hit.
I've seen them new for as low as $140.

Last edited:
I have a simple tarp, 5x9' made of lightweight ripstop waterproof material from Rockywood fabrics.

Constructed a wall tent (w/ MIL assist) using a similar fabric as shared below though my fabric was around 3oz per SQ yard. 15#'s with titanium lg SO stove/pipe.
View attachment 285129

They're a wholesaler for public materials. It's like entering a steel yard... Haha! I want to buy too much as the creative juices kick in. Everything from linear yardage ripstop to snaps/clips, zippers, webbing, etc.

One example: 0.68oz per SQ yard.

Also have an "Outdoor Research bivy-sack helium bivy".
1#. Packs to 1'x4" and carry it when my intent is to spike camp with sleeping bag though I've carried it with my reactor extreme on occasions where I sensed bad weather may hit.
I've seen them new for as low as $140.
That tent is awesome! Thanks for the site, I think you’re costing me a lot of money with your suggestions 😁

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back