Surprise goat encounter

mdunc8

I was tagging along with a buddy of mine who drew a moose tag here in Montana when we walked up on this guy. We were setup above a marshy area when he walked around the corner. He didn't seem too concerned that we were around until I crawled within about 25 yards. I've done a lot of backcountry snowboarding above treeline where I've seen plenty of goats. However, this guy was along a cliff band surrounded by thick timber at 7,5000 ft, which is about 2,000 ft below treeline around here, and no where near a ridge high enough to get out of the timber. Is this that rare or does it happen more frequently than I thought it did? He looked fat and happy so I don't think he was ill.

Attachments

• goat1-1.jpg
    goat1-1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 216
  • goat3.jpg
    goat3.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 217
I had something similar happen this year. Spotted this guy way down in a canyon at ~3500 feet. Treeline is around 6500 in this area. Must like to wander every now and then.

Attachments

• 019a.jpg
    019a.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 194
The biggest goat I have seen on the Bridgers was laying on an open hillside by some sagebrush. I rode the horse right by him. I saw one lone goat 3 years in a row in the same general area. He was big.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back