Summer family/Basecamp tent

WyOpitz

So I have been doing A LOT of research regarding tents lately. I am looking at doing a lot of camping in the Bighorns this summer with my wife, 1-year old daughter and 2 dogs. I’d also like to use it as a basecamp for early season hunting with 1-2 other hunting partners. I’ve been looking at a few tents and keep going back and forth on one since I only want to buy ONE and not have any regrets. I’m ok with spending a little more money so I can have a tent that will last me at least 10-15 years. I do plan on getting a canvas wall tent in the next year or two. I'm hoping some of you guys have some good input to guide my decision.thanks in advance!

1)***** Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 or 8 man tent

I was really sold on this tent since the reviews are stellar and it appears to be bomb-proof. My only concern is that it may get really warm during the hot summer months since it is a 4-season tent. I also hear people complaining about how hard it can be to set up with one person. I’m not going to count on my wife being able to help me 100% of the time while watching our daughter and the dogs. Some say it takes almost 45 minutes to put this up by yourself. This would make a great tent though in cold weather.

2)***** Kodiak Canvas FlexBow 6-man (10x10) or 8-man (10x14) tent

This tent has also received a lot of great reviews and has quite a following. This would make a great summer tent since it breathes so well and also and I like having a floor to keep the nasty stuff out of my tent. It also appears to hold up well in the fall, a lot of people heat it easy with a Buddy heater and it stays plenty warm. The only thing I don’t like is how heavy the thing is (10x10=68lbs; 10x14=79lbs), it’s a little cumbersome but seems to be a breeze to put up with just one person. Can be put up in less than 10 min with one person.
L12897615.jpg

3)***** Big Agnes Flying Diamond 6 or 8 man tent

This is probably my third choice, I think I would definitely take the Alaskan guide over this one since the Alaskan guide is made of much heavier duty walls and floors.* I do like that it has a separate room for the dogs or kids. It is a 3-4 season tent and appears it can handle the early season stuff without any issues. Reviews are fairly positive but I’m just not completely sold on it.
flyingdiamond8awningopen.jpg

4)***** Other tents I’ve considered…Cabelas Outback Lodge tent, Cabelas Outfitter Series XWT, Davis Spike, several tipi designs (just don’t like not having a floor and they don’t make the GoLite Shangri-La w/floor big enough for my needs even though I REALLY LIKE the Shangri-la.
$(KGrHqR,!rIFF0IQtmm+BReKIR2CC!~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:
On my trip to SE Alaska, I spent 8 days in the Alaskan Guide tent. It held up ok, but we covered it with a poly tarp just to be safe. It was my partners tent, and with 2 of us it was a pain in the ass to set-up. I'm not sure if we ever got the rain fly on right. I don't know if it was a 6 or 8 man, but it was plenty tall enough to stand-up in.

If I ever buy a full size tent it'll be an Artic Oven. They aren't cheap(~$1,300), but they have a stove option and are bombproof.

Yeah, those Arctic Ovens are sweeeeet! my wife would kill me iI spent that much on a tent right now. Maybe in a few years when all my student loans are paid off.

Thanks for your experience on the Alaskan guide, I think the pain of setup would just cause things between me and the wife to get tense during set up. Even though camping is "in tents", sorry couldn't resist the pun. The ease of set up on the kodiak is a huge selling point for me.

I've got the Alaskan guide 6 man, have used it for years. It's easy to set up. During the summer I don't use the fly and open up the windows so it stays pretty cool, as far as tents in the summer goes. I use the fly a lot during bow season to make a shelter. You can get 2 full size cots in it or a queen size inflatable mattress. You can also hang a lantern from the rods to have good overhead light. Only issue is it's big and heavy.

I use my Cabelas outback lodge all summer and into Sept,it is 100% water proof and if the vents are opened up,cools fairly well.light weight and sets up easy with one person.
Our Scout troop uses the Kirkhams and Kodiaks,they are both some of the best tents I have ever used and should last a life time if taken care of.

My two boys(4&6), my wife and I fit in the ShangriLa 5 just fine. It's light and sets up/takes down in a flash. I mean we're talking 3-4 minutes, it also does well in the wind. Leave the nest at home and you have a light weight backbacking tent.

Also, check out REI....theirreturn policy means yu can buy whatever you want, use it and if you don't like i just take it back. I love that place.

Have you looked at the Cabelas Alakanak? I have one and use it for summer camping and also late fall hunting. very nice and easy to set up also. can add features like the vestibule and a stove. worth a look. I have the 12 x12 and plenty of room.

Have you looked at the Cabelas Alakanak? I have one and use it for summer camping and also late fall hunting. very nice and easy to set up also. can add features like the vestibule and a stove. worth a look. I have the 12 x12 and plenty of room.

Yeah, that is a pretty nice tent. Someone was selling the 12x27 for $500 in rock springs the other day, normally $1500 new I think. Tempting but way too big for me right now. I kinda like the Big Horn 3 over the alaknak but if I was looking at either of those for purposes of having a stove I think I would just go with a canvas wall tent.

One more reason I like the kodiak canvas is that when I eventually do get a wall tent then I can use it as a kitchen or gear area.

My two boys(4&6), my wife and I fit in the ShangriLa 5 just fine. It's light and sets up/takes down in a flash. I mean we're talking 3-4 minutes, it also does well in the wind. Leave the nest at home and you have a light weight backbacking tent.

I really like it but I think I would be pushing it with our dogs. I think I'm going to pick up the Shangri La 3 for myself though. :D

+1
I use mine all year and the nice thing is I use it a lot horse packing and you don't need to pack the poles, you can cut your own. Saves a lot on weight.

I've got a Big Agnes Bighouse 6 with the extra vestibule. I like it a lot, but the vents at the top mean it can get pretty cool in the fall. If it had a way to seal the top vents I would be perfectly happy with it. But I do like the Big Agnes tents.

I'm also looking for another option.

Currently have the Alaska Guide 8 man. Not a fan. It weighs about 25 lbs, is a PITA to set up. It takes 30 min easily if I'm doing it by myself.

Been leaning towards a floorless shelter with a stove.

I don't have any personal experience with any of the tents you listed except the GoLite SL-5. I actually took my son backpacking this weekend for my SL-5's maiden voyage (although I've used friend's SL's several times in the past). We did bring the nest with us on this trip, but could have gotten away without it as the bugs haven't really come out yet up where we went.

023.JPG

Personally, for me, if I'm car camping, my tent is going to contain cots. The SL5 is a great roomy backpacking, or lightweight car camping tent for 1-2 guys, maybe 2 adults and one kid, but there are better car camping options out there, imo.

Not sure if you've looked at them, or are interested in other options, but I have a Reliable Tent Co 10x10 Teton tent. It is canvas with a stove vent. It is also available as a 12x12 with 4 foot walls. This tent is great for 2 guys for a long weekend. It sets up quick and contains plenty of room for 2 large cots. Only downsides for summer camping is the lack of ventilation (only 2 windows) and the door doesn't have a screen on it. I mainly use this tent when it is me and a buddy or me and one or two of my kids going camping for 2-4 days.

P1040775.JPG

P1040814.JPG

I also have experience with the Cabela's Bighorn II tent. Figure I'll mention this one as well since you mentioned the Bighorn III. I like this tent a lot and it works well for my family of 5 + dog. It is a kind of weird shape though, so I feel like there is some wasted space, and it is harder to arrange cots in it. Not a big deal while the kids are young, but I can see it being a bigger deal as they get older. With the stove, 3 guys is max for a hunt, imo. If the vestibule is attached, it adds a lot of extra room, and I've even slept people in the vestibule when needed, although the vestibule is floorless.

P1180538.JPG

P1180536.JPG

P1180551.JPG

P1010562.JPG

Bighorn%2520II%2520Tent.jpg

Good luck in your search!

Alaknak 12x12 owner here. Very happy with 5 people in Summer. I look with interest at the Reliable tent mentioned earlier. If I didn't have the Alaknak I'd look hard at it.

Being able to stand upright is important. Of the ones you listed the Kodiak is the best in that department. If using a stove is not part of your criteria, then that Kodiak will serve you well. If Cabelas had not had the Alaknak, I would have left with the Kodiak.

Thanks for all of those pics! The big horn just grew on me a lot more. Looks fairly simple to put up and I could use for every type of car camping whether with the family or late season elk hunting. Dang, I'm really torn now!

I have the Kodiak 10x14 and I like it. Set it up in the back yard and one family trip. I set the tent up myself. Also, I could add a vestibule to the tent and give me even more room. But a family of 4 was no problem. I am very happy with my purchase.

I have several different kinds of tents and for a family base camp tent I am vary partial to the canvas ones like the Kodiak and Spring Bars. In fact I have my hand me down spring bar from my grandfather. My mom has pictures of here camping in it that would age this tent at, at least 55 years old. and it is still camping. Not nearly as much sine I usually go in my trailer but it gets used a few nights every year.
Springbar_Tent.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back