Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Suggestions for AZ hunting Binocs

montejello

Greetings,

I apologize for bringing up a topic on the boards which seem to be common; even trying to ask in a previous made thread but I think I am lost in the shuffle there. Ive read lots of them and many people have multiple sets of binocs which isnt an option. I wanted some experienced hunter knowledge.

My wife and I are just getting into hunting and on limited budget (so far only afford one rifle we share Savage Trophy Hunter XP 308 W/ Nikon 3c9x40). I plan on getting binoculars specifically Vortex diamondbacks. Which pair would you suggest? 8x42 or 10x42 as our only options.

Area we live/hunt:
Arizona (southern) with a chance at Texas hog with family down there.

Game we plan to hunt:
Deer, javelina, hog, elk, and anything else in those areas which put food on the table. Our first hunt will most likely be javelina; we applied for the draw.

We plan to hike/camp and really get away from it all. If this is something we truly enjoy we want to pass on these experiences to our youngins (7yo, 2yo, 5mo). We love being outdoors and away from the wired world time to time.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Montejello

I use 10x40 as my primary glass. Narrower field of view and increased shake trade off for higher magnification

Use a bino adapter on a tripod to hold binos steady for glassing big country. Heat waves show up more the larger the magnification but big country trumps that issue. You might check out garage sales to find a tripod and a spotting scope. A spotting scope, of any quality, might be useful to save a long hike as can see more detail at the higher magnification of something you first see in your binos. Coues deer are small and blend into the background of southern AZ.

If I could only have 1 optic it would be 10x42's on a tripod. For AZ I wouldn't go back to not having 15x on a tripod though, especially for Coues and javelina. You might go with the 10's for now and see what you can find on the used market and pick up some 15's in the future.

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your prompt and informative replies.

I went forward with the 10x42s. I will have to find a tripod.

Regards,

Montejello

buy the 10X42 now and get a stick to rest them on. If you are hunting southern AZ you will likely be hunting Coues deer and they are hard enough to see with 10X glasses much less anything smaller. Eventually you will want 15X60's....then you will really need the stick.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back