Study: Hunters Die After Consuming CWD-Infected Venison

"The authors of the April 9 study are quick to point out that causation for the recent CJD cases in hunters remains unproven. But their findings underscore the grave threats of consuming CWD-infected meat, and the importance of having deer meat tested for CWD by your state fish and game agency whenever possible."

Basically the article say we think cwd gave two guys CJD even though we have no proof. They don't mention that there's roughly 350 cases a year in the US. Completely within the realm of probability for two people from the same region to show symptoms in the same year. The cwd panic mongers are getting real old. Interesting Colorado has below average CJD rates even though they are at the epicenter of cwd.

This is not concrete data, but it is still something that should make us sit up and take notice in my opinion. This threat has been coming down the tracks at hunters for quite some time.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I feel at this point that point-of-kill testing is going to be our best tool to combat CWD moving forward.

This is not concrete data, but it is still something that should make us sit up and take notice in my opinion. This threat has been coming down the tracks at hunters for quite some time.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I feel at this point that point-of-kill testing is going to be our best tool to combat CWD moving forward.
Or mandatory testing. If it is as big of issue that they say it is every single deer that gets shot needs to be tested. My joke wasn’t diminishing that it is real. Montana had cwd hunts where mandatory testing wasn’t required. That is bad on many levels.

Wouldn't call it data of any kind it's pure conjecture. They can't even prove they ate cwd positive meat especially on any regular basis. It just states they ate deer from high cwd population areas.

"The authors of the April 9 study are quick to point out that causation for the recent CJD cases in hunters remains unproven. But their findings underscore the grave threats of consuming CWD-infected meat, and the importance of having deer meat tested for CWD by your state fish and game agency whenever possible."

Basically the article say we think cwd gave two guys CJD even though we have no proof. They don't mention that there's roughly 350 cases a year in the US. Completely within the realm of probability for two people from the same region to show symptoms in the same year. The cwd panic mongers are getting real old. Interesting Colorado has below average CJD rates even though they are at the epicenter of cwd.
350 in 300,000,000

You have better odds at drawing 680 sheep, Unit 2 Co on the hybrid and an Ibex tag in the same year lol

Wouldn't call it data of any kind it's pure conjecture. They can't even prove they ate cwd positive meat especially on any regular basis. It just states they ate deer from high cwd population areas.

Field and Stream greatly overstated the findings of the bulletin from Nuerology with their sensationalist title.

The authors of the bulletin are calling for increased surveillance and further investigation. They didn't conduct, or attempt, a study here. They've merely brought attention to the fact that two socially related people contracted the quite rare CJD that is known to be caused by prions, which include CWD. And so further research into transmission should be looked into.

"...it is not possible to definitively rule out CWD in these cases. Although causation remains unproven, this cluster emphasizes the need for further investigation into the potential risks of consuming CWD-infected deer and its implications for public health.

Conclusions:​

Clusters of sporadic CJD cases may occur in regions with CWD-confirmed deer populations, hinting at potential cross-species prion transmission. Surveillance and further research are essential to better understand this possible association."

I keep rereading the article and I’m drawing the same conclusions. I may try and read it tomorrow morning with a clearer head.
The hunters died from sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), which is a human type of prion disease. There are 2 other main types of CJD including acquired (e.g., MadCow disease) and familial (hereditary). The fact it was determined to be sporadic means they don't know the cause. If they knew it was caused by CWD, it would have been classified as acquired. Still pretty scary unless they can narrow it down.

Or mandatory testing. If it is as big of issue that they say it is every single deer that gets shot needs to be tested. My joke wasn’t diminishing that it is real. Montana had cwd hunts where mandatory testing wasn’t required. That is bad on many levels.
For years extra samples have been collected by shooting over bait by the IDNR. That's right over bait, you know the fastest and easiest way to spread the disease. All because they weren't getting enough voluntary samples. I wish I was making that up.

Back