Strangest place your dogs Treed

KW

I know Ive had my share of times that I sure didnt want to go get my dogs , but had to! Lets hear your story. Several years ago, while hunting bobcats, on property that I have permision, my dogs started a cat. They trailed a little over a mile, jumped it and after a very short race, treed! T he problem,------- They had a large yellow house cat treed on the screen door of one of the head honcho's of the local humane society! My buddy and I were on foot, about 1/2 a mile from the (TREE), when this happened. I think I damn near ruptured myself getting over there. We approached the house from behind the barn and took a reconoiter. This ol gal must have brought home every cat in the county, as every tree had some in it. I says to my buddy,
'lets get up there and get them dogs" He allowed that he would rather watch from there. Now my dogs will stretch a yellow cat just like a bobcat, and I figured that the cat would jump when I ran up, and he did! And he did. right under the house through a hole in the foundation with one of my dogs right behind. I figured I am a dead man! I had one dog caught. Before I have time to think about it , It sounds like a wild hog is under that house, man I mean things are crashing into ductwork and pipes. Then the cats start coming out of that hole about 3 abreast. I just thought they was thick in the trees. My dog on the lead is going wild, when out pops my other dog. Normaly no amount of yelling would stop that dog in that situation, but something in the tone of my voice must have made an impression. I caught him!!! I made tracks! We hadnt went 100yrds, when the Humane Lady, drove in to the yard! She is one that likes get plum stupid! I always wondered what she thought of the cats all in the trees! We laugh about it now, but it wouldnt have been fun, had she been home! KW

Great story KW
Back in my coon hunting days I had numerous runs that ended that way :D There was a house next to one corn field we hunted with a grad Walker dog hooked to the front porch.He would bark all night when we hunted there.One night our dogs ran a house cat up onto that porch and killed it ;) we grabed the dogs and left.Lucky no one was home :D When we drove back out by that house the grade dog was sitting on that porch next to the dead cat just as proud as hell :D From that night on there was no more barking dog there when we hunted LOL :D

Good one Tobey! Most of my strange encounters have been while coon huntin. One night,my dog ended up treed in the edge of clearing in the timber. I could hear another dog barking, and then people yelling. I got on up there,and there is a large german shepard barking at my hound, and 4 or 5 hippies standing there. this was in August, hot, moonlight night. I dont run my light much as the bugs are bad. Anyway, I steps out of the timber and turn my lite on ,and say howdy, no reply,except from the dog who dont like my looks. He starts barking at me, and my dog dont like his attitude ! Big dog fight, My dog wins! Hippies dont know what to think of my dog now, or the other guy in the timber I keep talking to, that dont ever talk back. Did I mention, it was pot harvesting season??? I said adios amigos. and hit the timber! went back later and there had been a lot of grass mowed! Could have been bad, lucky I had my attack dog! KW

Why did you go back there KW???.... Hmmmmmmm ;) J/K

Cool stories guys!

Last night my dog treed a mink...I have never seen that before. :confused:

A few years back we were huning around an old abandon farmstead, wasent long and the dogs treed on the old house. We threw the dogs in a broken window, I never saw hounds get so excited. The coon were everywhare, in the walls, the ceiling, under the floor. By the time we left had 8 big coon hides and the dogs were so tired they wouldent hunt anymore, so we went home.

Hey Josh, them mink are greased lightning! I used to have a dog that liked to run mink,and treed a few. They can run up or down a tree with equal speed! thank god they dont get as big as a bear, as they are tough mean fighters. KW

How about bayed??
We were running a coyote on snow in Maine a couple years ago.Saw him cross twice with the dogs right on his tail.Then we couldnt find the dogs.I got out the tracker and beeped them towards where my buddys were.They rode up and down the road and couldnt find them.then one guy says that there were a bunch of house dogs up this one driveway making a heck of a racket.I told him to sneak up the driveway and take a peek.A minute later his voice comes over the radio.You boys best get over here right away.The dogs have the yote bayed up under a guys car in his driveway !!!! I told him to tell the people at the house what was going on and we would be right there to help out.
It wasa a really nice house too.When we pulled up my buddy said the people didnt seem to be mad or anything.One plus for us..We tried to grab the dogs and the yote busted out ,went 10 yds and went under the guys boat he had up on blocks.Dogs were right into him baying,biting the whole works.I looked up in the picture window and there were 2 ladies and 4 or 5 kids watching.Just then a car comes flying up the drive and a big guy gets out.Said he wife called him at work down the road and told him what was going on!!!
I explained everything to him and waited for an arse chewing.Next thing he said was had we killed the coyote yet.Another plus.I told him no .He asked if he could bring his kids out to see it.They all piled out to watch the show.I told him because of the closeness to the house i couldnt shoot without his permission.He said go ahead.I climed under the boat with my little Jennings 22 auto pistol.All I heard him say was be careful,I dont want to be bailing water this summer !!!!I popped the yote in the head at 5 feet and out he came.The dogs grabbed him and it was over.
The guy thanked us for the show and went back to work.Wish everyone was like that.

By the way KW.I would say the strangest things I have happen to me out hunting were mostly coon hunting too.I could write a book I think.Imagine if that lady would have been home when your dogs were there!!!! What a mess huh???

KW you started a good thread here :D
One of the funiest nights I ever had coon hunting.Me and my hunting budy Chuck where hunting coons at the County farm In NH over by George P.'s.Theres a large corn field right behind the Jail,And a river that borders the corn all the way around.Our hounds had struck a coon and swam the river and treed some distench in on the other side.We drove around and whent to the dogs shot the coon and came out a toat road we found that was easier walking.When we hit the tar we had a 1/2 mile walk back to the truck so I left the coon there in the bushes and we headed for the truck.On the way we was going by some houses and a man steped out and asked us what we where up to.Just as quick as he asked Chuck said to him Mister get back in your house and lock the doors we are tracking an exscaped convict :D He did and we walked back to our truck Busting a gut.2 hrs later we where in town at a Dunkin Donuts having coffy and a donut when 3 cops puled in and wanted to talk to us :eek: Seems that hole naberhood had caled the cops wanting to know about the exscapeys :D We all had a good laugh about it and still do

WOW, I'm like buckshot don't have any storys near that caliber, all my hunting is done to far away from civilization to get in situations like that.

Tobey, You wouldnt believe what that county farm area looks like now.I go to the courthouse there on business a few times a year.Everytime I ride up that road there is a new house or 2 being built.I mean $3 to $400,000 homes too.The county land is still there but it is totally built up around it.I dont think i would dare drop a hound anywhere in Dover now.

Thats why I call it Little Boston down there.
You would hafta look real hard to find a $300,000. House up here :D

You know how much tar papper that would by
:D

[ 04 May 2001: Message edited by: Tobey ]

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back